The guy I work with is German. His gf is Spanish. Both of them speak the other's language fluently. When I am around they speak fluent English. When they are talking between themselves they speak fluent French even though neither of them are French. They are fluent in 4 languages, only 33 years old and they studied economics at university, not languages.

It really is quite amazing.

Yes, some Europeans can speak many languages. Most Swiss speak Swiss German, French and sometimes Italian, too. I think European languages(languages use alphabet) are quite similar and not so difficult to be muitilingual if I compare to non-alphabet languages.

My friend told me in Cuba, she is not interested in language at all. So, she didn't like me to try to talk to Cuban people with English or Spanish. I don't feel comfortable to be in a Japanese group and always speak Japanese when I travel abroad.

I think multilingual is cool and make our life more colorful.

Hi Slow,

Certainly it would make it easier, but I don't think it is simple even though the letters (alphabet) are the same.

Interestingly the Spanish girl says that German is the hardest. The German guys says that English is the hardest however concedes that perfect German is a challenge even for a German. Most English speakers to 'stupid' to realise that English is too hard for them. Myself included.

I can't work this out: since leaving Japan my willingness and ability to speak Japanese has more than tripled. Now that I am not there I feel compelled to maintain what I learnt. In a way it is back to front.

Checking out Cyrillic recently. Odd stuff.

I was also talking to a Bulgarian girl and guess what?! She was very well aware that Japan had a special licence to produce healthy Bulgarian yoghurt. She thought it was very amusing (as I do). I let her know that I ate if most days for breakfast from Lawsons so she asked me what Lawsons was. I told her. Am I not a cultural bridge?

I have a friend who is now in France who can speak 5 languages fluently and about 4 others pretty well. It is amazing. Admittedly, I can't check what he's saying, but I'm pretty sure it's true. It seems almost as if once you can speak more than a few, others just fall into place. I'm sure that's not the case (!). Ha.

He's a suave, handsome bastard as well. :p