AET / JET Program - the poll

I suspect it harbors some correlation, which is why I wish you'd included such factors in the first place (given that I suspect, given the vast numbers of Jets and Aets in Japan, that a majority of snowjapan patrons are or have been part of the program).

Anyway, your obvious passion and commitment to the program leads me to believe that you probably add value to your situation, in which case all power to you.

I'm an AET.

There are good and bad things about the program, it is certainly not perfect. I know AETs who are just taking the piss and are a waste of time, and others who work really hard and give it a good go to make a difference. Surely just like in any other job.

I agree with snowmonster about all ALTs being different.

Also, I think there is a lot of resistance to ALTs by the schools and their teachers. They can restrict the ALT a lot, give no responsibility, make them feel unwanted etc. So if the JET programme is crap, I think the schools are more to blame than the actual ALTs.

I am a bright guy who wants to work hard, but I was heavily stifled at my school and they totally wasted me. I was doing maybe 30mins work a day, avergaed out over the 3 years. Looking back on it I think I made only a minor difference in terms of 'inspiration' which I think is the unwritten role of the ALT. Though of course my lessons were always professional and of a good standard,

By the way, I have just got enrolled at Durham Uni and am settling in, for those who remember me. I am so glad to be out of JET now, though everytime I look at my bank balance I have to give thanks to that gravy train.

Quote:
Originally posted by sanjo:
Aet people - are the number of "private" aets still increasing ie non jet program aets?
Definitely - when I first moved to Japan almost 6 years ago there werent that many foreigners in Hiroshima at that time. Year after year, the numbers seemed to double and triple. It use to be that walking down the Hondori I knew most of the peeps. When I was cruisin around over the summer down in Hiro and Kyushu it felt like I didnt recognize any of the faces in Hiro at all.

Its actually nicer here in Kansai, I dont feel like people stare at me like they did in Hiroshima. Geeze, that place really is inaka...

Look at companies like Interac who are scoring contracts with the BOE, especially among elementary schools. That seems to be where most of the new contracts are coming from. Maybe somebody who works for a company like that could fill in more info.