Im spending all of Feb 2005 in Noz and Niseko. Currently I have Head iC300s. I bought these from an instructor (iC160s were not enough for me).

109.5-64-93.5 iirc its the 64 that worries me.

I like the way these hold an edge on groomed. Not sure about powder (limited experience). Did try Head monsters and elans ?M12s.

The whole point of the Japan trip is to learn powder.

Skiing wise Im 90kg, on 170s and have skied a bit (200 skidays total, 15 years). Id go most places and either survive (unpretty) or be fine. Have been doing double blacks in Canada but got spooked after a fall on the steep. Nothing I could find (open) at Thredbo spooks me ;\)

I plan to be off piste mostly (groomed is boring, bumps, fresh, trees, some steeps are me)

Should I

a) take the ic300s and see how i go

B) replace them before i go (prob v xpensive in Aus with a monster)

c) pick up something in Tokyo on a weekend on the way to Noz

d) buy in Noz

e) rent for a month (?costs)

??

All help greatly appreciated

phool

move on over to the classafied section of this forum and buy the Kahru Jaks for sale there. Arrange with the guy selling them to get them sent to you when you get here. That way you will have a good pow ski and you can keep the skis you have for non-powder days.

Having more than one pair of skis, each ski great at what they were made for, is better than having one pair that does everything poorly.

You will want pow skis for Japan.

p.s pow skis are especially good at making heavy OZ and NZ pow easier.

Quote:
Originally posted by 2pints,mate:
Whatever you do phool, don't let some of those Japanese companies phool you into buying their goods because "Japanese snow is different". ;\)
Hehehhe...Ive been around too long for that. 90kg may be 80 when Im done.

How about length. Ive had an ACL reconstruction 18 months ago and now am on 170s (176 or so tall). Id be looking to go short not long (less injury risk).

Thx for the tips

Oh, we had 40 cm of fresh at Thredbo when we were there, heavy heavy heavy...I managed but my friends were toasted ... it had snowed and rained leading up to the dump.

shorter will make you sink then you will put more presure on your knee.

if you want to go short then you must go 100mm in the waist. Those skis wont do much on the groomed though. for your size you should go 180 85mm plus in the waist. That will let you float the best.

Just want to agree with what Fattwins has written and would like to add if you're going to buy then try to find something that will still ski ice and grommers. There are a couple of skis out there that rock all over. Shameless plug here - take a look at VectorGlide (omni or cordova) they are the only ski that's enthused me enough to leave my McHucksters at home and I've been lucky enough to try most of the new skiis most seasons. It's a shameless plug because the maker is a friend of mine but if the were a piece of shit I would have told him and stayed on my Volants.

I've got a demo pair lying around here if anyone wants to try them around Naeba.

Enjoy Hakkaido!