that guy somewhere yes, if you look carefully he was cutting to get away from a big cliff, as he was doing that it factured. He then had someone on the radio telling him to bugger off left...but that crown (meaning point where the snow started to slide) wanted to take the whole face.

The second vid was target practise I doubt there was any hole diggin just prevention

Nice one Fattwins. The one thing I miss about Patrolling is the avalauncher, had one in Nz mounted to the back of a flat deck Hilux, it was cool, my boss set of a slide with it in the middle of the night that went down about 600m vert and through the snow making shed and through the day lodge restaurant, caused about 2.5 million dollars worth of damage, needless to say he wasn`t ny boss the next year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Telleboy:
... the avalauncher, had one in Nz mounted to the back of a flat deck Hilux, it was cool, my boss set of a slide with it in the middle of the night that went down about 600m vert and through the snow making shed and through the day lodge restaurant, caused about 2.5 million dollars worth of damage, needless to say he wasn`t ny boss the next year.
You guys have a habit of 'controlling avalanche risk' and in the process destroying the people and property that your 'control measures' are in fact intended to protect from natural events. Must be a kiwi thing ;\) Luckily in Australia we don't have enough proper snow or terrain to create the risk in the first place

Patrolled at Mt Hutt for 7 winters, 1 in sunshine village and 1 at Lake Louise.

The stupid thing about Nz resorts is that when they were first built noone gave a thought to avalanche paths back then, so all the day lodges were built in stupid places, take Mt Hutt for example, Directly above the side of the lodge are all sorts of funky chutes and when there is a SE snow fall man do they get loaded, about 17 of the chutes all have their runout paths finishing directly on top of the day lodge. Just dumb.The only way to control them is by avaluncher. In Nz you arnt allowed to use the avalauncher during operation hours, so when we do use them there is very little chance of people being involved in the slide, but sometimes you just cant control the forces of nature.

I trust far more Nz patrollers than Japanese ones as it take a whole lot of qualifications and experience to become one, either way Nz patrollers still have a bad rep. Just glad I dont do it any more as I love my free skiing!

Yeah know Matt Spragg really well, he got married about 2 years ago and left the grooming business and is now a hydrolic engineer in the north of the south Island. I heard the fish and frog (dont know if you know them)Karl and Dave They were here again last winter, think they might be comin back too, but dont think Matt will be.

Damn small world man. He was a funny guy. I never met those guys but I heard about them. They worked over at oze I think. Friends of friends met them. Maybe one day matt will just come back to ski. Did you ever head over to Kawaba

Quote:
Originally posted by Telleboy:
Yeah know Matt Spragg really well, he got married about 2 years ago
One hopes they adopted the wives family name upon the union of holy matrimony ;\) Sorry, no more tosser comments from me (and no offence intended to your friend)

Seriously now: Telleboy, you are likely one of the few people around the forum here who has participated in multiple an av rescues. Were they in NZ? What are the realities of the situation? I am taking my first few weeks of training this season and would welcome any real life discussion on the topic. One thing that strikes me is that we always talk/think/see quicktime av situations in clear bluebird conditions. I bet it is a whole different story when you can only see 50m ahead in cloudy weather. Perhaps good enough to ride in but not good enough to search in. You may not even see the full slide nor be able to see your mate go down in it.

Also, beyond the technical approach to av risk assessment, do you think people get caught when it is obvious that there is a risk to the naked eye or are some av risks not so obvious (hence the need for the pit, layers etc and knowledge of historical weather direction and temp fluctuations).

Basically, beyond the regular flow of articles on BC safety, I would like to know about BC disaster reality and participation in rescue. Where you a free rider those days or was it part of your patrol job?

cheers!

most of the rescues I have done have been just outside the boundries of the ski feild as well as looking for climbers way out the back.

It is the most physically exerting thing I have ever done, they are not easy, especially if it goes as far as a probe line.

Conditions as far as weather go generally depend on the time of the season, ie mid winter is generally crap weather with lots of new snow and wind, spring is generally fine weather later in the day with the sun heating the snow pack.

THe rescues I have done are always very military authoritarian style, move when your told, stay put if your not told anything.

I saw a guy take a leak on the avalanche path once and he got a punch in the head for his trouble because it screwed up the search dogs, lucky for him the person saw already dead from trauma.

Searching in whiteout conditions is not so bad if it only requires a beacon search as vision is not so necessary, any thing visual ie gloves, ski poles, anything sticking out of the snow should have been located on the initial sweep search.

If you want some really interesting reading about it all a good book is,

SNOW SENSE by Jill A Fredston and Doug Fesler

put out by Alaska Mountain Safety Center.

Its a very condensed and informative book, its my bible.

Im helping teach an avi course in Hakuba this winter, if you want info check out

web page

Courses are in english and japanese

quite possibly, I dont think he has a backcountry guide lined up yet, maybe Nathan will come back, but I think he has quite a few bookings for ski feild tours. I know that Im going to be busy between christmas and new years doing the skifeild tours, I dont really want the responciblity of taking groups backcountry so there should be heaps of work on that line, give him a tingle and see whats up, If you want his cell phone number I can private it to you.