Buy Nothing Day is world-wide, but still not that popular yet. Places with a strong activist population (Canada/US northwest) have lots of participation. The main push behind this (in north america) is from a Vancouver-based magazine called Adbusters. http://adbusters.org

Japan has almost no critisism of consumer culture as i am aware of (no japanese person i have talked to knows what a sweatshop is, why anyone would boycott nike, and even knows the kanji word for "exploitation")and is one of the last place where this is any news of BND. And no magazine like adbusters. As it is a huge comsumer of all products, I really hope that people there can be more aware of how their purchases affect other people and the environment.

Kono seikaio kuitsukusu made, mono o kaitsuzukemasu ka?

That CNN article highlights the vulgarity of the situation and yet again how mindless we are as a society. Watch reality TV, vote for war makers, plan your holiday shopping.

I have changed quite a deal since this topic last came up 2 years ago.

Having said that, tomorrow I am going out to get some new running shoes, an avvy probe, a BC shovel and an avvy beacon.

I talked with a guy who is a professor and environmental activist on Friday. The Candle night on the very day of the summer solstice is his idea. He is thinking "Buy Nothing Valentine's Day" now. I'm sure he will do this campaign around Valentine's Day next year.

He is very nice guy. He always brings his chopsticks and canteen. He is pessisimist but very happy person. \:\)