In the beginning of March a friend of mine is coming to Japan for some skiing. He is an editor of a ski magazine so we will go around to review some resorts, but he also wants to do a 1 day backcountry trip.

Skinning up in the morning and skiing down in the afternoon. Preferably through some deep untouched snowfields, but there are no guarantees for that off course.

At first we thought of the epic trip of trying to get up to Fuji-san, but only if the weather is perfect. Anyone experiences with this? I read some stories skiing on Fuji later in year but not in March of maybe even February.

Does anyone know other backcountry spots with less troubles of getting to the summit and maybe more interesting skiing?

See my post on the snowcamping thread. The spot I'm talking about is maybe 3-4 hrs skinning with breaks from the top of Goryu, there's usually a trail to follow. Just keep following the ridge up and head to the right. You basically end up nearly halfway between Goryu and Happone, sorry I can't name features any better than that. It's near the source of the river that flows past 47 and the descent takes you out that way with a few of the ubiquitous dams barring your way in the lower sections.

Plenty of areas you could go to but having more solid local knowledge is better than following my vague ass directions. Plenty of good hikable stuff off the top of Happo as well.

Why's that FT? Do you think I'm giving away the goods eek.gif ;\) ? The caveat here is that it's a major mission which is only feasible under certain conditions, that is, if you value your life. You also need the right sort of equipment, experience, and ideally avalanche awareness training. For example I wouldn't be wanting to lead a group of people with less backcountry experience and training than me on the same trip. Preferably I'd go with people who're more clued up than me, such as yourself and the guys I went there with in the first place.

Anyhow it's a long way to walk for one ride down so most people wouldn't be arsed with it. I guess that's the point of it all.

not worried at all it was more of a joke I should have put a smilie in there. Just some peps always get protective. Im not protective I gave away stuff in gifu last year. so I will add my smilie davo now. \:\) \:D \:\)

PS dont think I know more than you we are about the same mate when it come to Hakuba.

ps Im getting itchy I want to ski instead of jog daily.