I asked a Japanese friend about the doors. It is considered to be good manners towards the client. In limousines, the client never opens the door. The driver must get out and open/close the door for the client to come in/out. Same wise in taxis is considered rude for the client to open the door by himself. Since the driver cannot stop in the middle of the traffic to get out and open the door and besides that many people get on the cab in one day, they made the doors automatic to make a compromise. So that the driver can still open the door, without having to move from his seat all the time and still be able to give the least of the services to the client by opening the door for him.

Taxi drivers are usually nice to me and they make a good impression on their country when I'm a tourist.

I noticed something about the taxi in Shanghai. Chinese people always sit next to a driver and don't sit in the back seat. Is this only in China? I liked taxi drivers in Shinghai because they don't cheat, much better than Vietnam or Thailand.

I was also impressed by taxi drivers in Cuba for the same reason. Actually I despised myself for being so suspicional in such a nice country...

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
I noticed something about the taxi in Shanghai. Chinese people always sit next to a driver and don't sit in the back seat. Is this only in China?
I almost never rode in the back seat of a taxi in Australia. It is insulting to the driver and totally anti social. Taxi drivers come from my community, they are not below me. Even if there was me and a mate taking the cab, one of us would sit in the front (which is better than two guys sharing a backseat anyway)

The only time I rode in the back was when I was completely trashed from all sorts of 16 hour abuse sessions. It was likely that I was rather nightclub smelly and the driver did not need to endure that.

In more recent years a protective driver's seat bubble was installed in some cars to stop anti-social criminal jerks from assaulting the poor driver. In cars with the bubble you may as well ride in the back as the driver is already artificially segregated.