Article title is "Snow latest threat to evacuees"

(full link here http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20041119wo36.htm )

Anyway, I found this snowpack bit interesting:

Quote:

"Snow in Niigata Prefecture as winter sets in will become much more dense than that in other regions, such as Hokkaido and the Tohoku region, due to higher temperatures and thus, greater water content in snow crystals.

According to the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, an independent administrative institution in Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture, the weight of one cubic meter of snow is 130 kilograms in Nagaoka, Niigata Prefecture--more than double the weight of the same amount in Aomori Prefecture.

The weight in Niigata Prefecture can rise to 300 kilograms as falling snow compacts that of previous snowfalls"

Seems to be saying Niigata has a maritime snowpack. What are the other varieties found in Japan?

Arai (very coastal Niigata) had the wettest of all snow that I rode in Japan, but that is because it rained on me everytime I went (or was spring). Hakoda had the driest and lightest, you could blow a huge hole in it with a strong breath... and it was really close to the ocean.

Hakuba was generally drier than Yuzawa but by luck I was also getting fresher and colder snow in Hakuba.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Yes we did but I wouldnt ski that one line first thing again.
You talking to me? If so are you talking about that first tree line we took from the top of Tsugaike kogen, the one when got chased by the patrol? That had heaps of crust on it and was quite hard to ride, too fast for tree turns, needed a little more sun to break through to the soft.

If I recall, I almost beat you down that run. ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
Can't be any worse than Cypress. And any natural snow is still a million times better than manmade
I learned how to ski powder in those kind of low elevation hills. Just a bit more inland.
I kind of like it. Makes you a stronger and more aggressive rider. In the off chance you get some nice dry snow you can really rip it up.