Does anyone use any useful spam filter for your e-mailer?

I have added some e-mail rules at my e-mailer to filter spams but even with that situation, I get tons of spams everyday. In some meanings that's life coz I publish a business web site \:\(

Also, does anyone have any cool way to refuse 'Nihon telecom' cold calls which says something like "We are introducing some new packages which enable you to make your phone bill cheaper"? Getting tired to refuse it each and every time their agencies make rings at me saying "Thanks, but no thanks".

I choose NTT for 'my line' and have a PBX phone system for my entire house coz it's an accommodation, not a normal house. Cheap is better, but don't want to take any more complicated ways. If my phone system had some difficulties, problems, I know I have to contact both to NTT and Nihon telecom if I chose Nihon telecom for 'my line' and if their schedule to visit my house to check it don't match, I have to wait for days which bothers my business.

wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:

Also, does anyone have any cool way to refuse 'Nihon telecom' cold calls which says something like "We are introducing some new packages which enable you to make your phone bill cheaper"?
NIHONGO WAKARANAI works for me! ;\)
Don't wait for them to finish their salestalk, cut them off, they are taking your time. Other people probably pay you for your time. you DON'T need to hear them out. The sales people can handle it, they are pros.

anyway thet is how i used to deal with them in my former job.
ATB
TP

yeah, the problem is they are so persistent. For example if it's cold phones from stock campanies, they never release me even when I say ' Thanks but I don't have enough moeny to invest for it. If it's so good, please do it by yourself not telling it to anyone else!', they keep talking which is really annoying. Does this happen anywhere in the world? confused.gif

Sometimes I get upset and disconnect the line which is not nice mad.gif

Quote:
Does this happen anywhere in the world? confused.gif
Happens everywhere!

Quote:
Sometimes I get upset and disconnect the line which is not nice mad.gif
Never mind it is not nice! it is the only way to save your time.
I don't mean to offend you, but you are being too "japanese" which in this case mean to polite.
f**k them, they are the ones that are being "not nice"
You don't need to give them a reason for not doing business with them.

ATB
tp

I use SpamBayes which is an Open Source application (i.e. written by and improved upon by hundereds of developers around the world who hate getting spam). Once installed, it 'plugs in' to Outlook (i think some other mail clients as well), and 'learns' how to distinguish what is spam and what is not by looking at what you detect as Spam. In fact, I've only had to teach it with one or two emails out of about 250 spams, so it's pretty clever.

I've noticed a lot of posts in the OffTopic area about applications for peoples computers. Seriously, you should all consider sourceforge.net as the first place to go, since all the software you can get there is Open Source and therefore free of advertising spyware, and well backed up in terms of updates. A lot of the stuff there is specifically for Linux platforms, but the amount of Windows stuff is increasing.

Hum..... too Japanese !!!!

Can't help it coz I am \:\(

Exactly they waste my time though, Thunderpants.

I will try to be violent, then lol

Thanks for the info, voidhawk.

Open sauce - like OsCommerce, right?

Quote:
Open sauce - like OsCommerce, right?
That's right Thunderpants, except it's 'source' as in 'source code' (the programming code behind a software application) .... unless you knew that already and just wrote 'sauce' to be funny, in which case, that's pretty funny \:\)

There are actually HEAPS of Open Source software projects like OsCommerce for people starting their own business, which is a really good idea since it's all free. The reason for their success is that they get so much input from people who actually use the stuff saying things like "It would be good if it did this ... " etc.

http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=129
 Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
I'm leaving Japan tomorrowthen "ka-chunk".
Wish I could say this but probably no one believes lol....
Sometimes I try to say 'someone is at the door', 'another phone is rining' but damn they call me later again. Perhaps I have responded politer than needed?

Thick-skinned -- perhaps this is what we say 'Shinzou ni ke ga haete iru(hairy hearted)'?

Yeah, hairy hearted - if someone were so brave or careless to say/advice something to others which usually people don't want to say/advice because it is so hard to do or easy to hurt the others, we say that someone being 'shinzou ni ke ga haete iru hito' (= hairy hearted person/s if I dare translate).

Hum... I had better being impolite to save my time, then