Step in? Clicker bindings or ordinary strap bindings for a snowboard?

For very effective and efficient binding functionality on a solid board...plus comfort for free riding in resort areas and out:

GET FLOW BINDINGS

I suspect that they are not the best for pipe and jumps.... but then I don't pay all that cash to visit a snow resort and then just loaf around a frozen skate park.

Or perhaps get a pair of clicker HB's (that is, with highbacks on the binding, not built into the boot). BUT - don't get clickers that attach to the side of the foot. Only get heel-toe connectors (eg K2, but they no longer make the HB version).

Keep in mind that I am not a super experienced boarder. However I have tried straps several times and they were always a very uncomfortable ride and super annoying with more straps, clips and ratchets than a horse saddle crossed with a space shuttle airlock. But they look all gnarly and cool and that is what sells in the snowboard industry and that is what the pros are paid to ride. Imagine if board bindings went the way of the ski binding (product and industry) where the difference between brands was in subtle yet effective functionality rather than the massively over engineered space aged look and silly model names that plague the board strap binding market.

Remember, people dont eat macas and drink coke because they like it. Same goes for strap bindings (and Hip Hop). ;\) ;\) ;\)

I've only used step-in bindings once and i hated them with a passion.

I quite like conventional strap bindings, the only gripe with them is the strap can hurt your feet, but this is solved by loosening them after each run when sitting on the lifts. Oh, and bits of them break all the bloody time, so look after them a bit and have some spare straps handy. My advice is buy a well known brand - there are many arguments good vs bad with regards to Burton, but you can find spares everywhere if you break a heel cup or a strap.

I love my Flow bindings - super comfy and responsive, and very quick in-and-out, especially great if you have to do a bit of skating across flats. The only minor complaint I have is that sometimes I want to 'click' them a fraction tighter like you can with strap bindings.

Sorry Dear Britain, but i have to disagree.

Sure, some of the the designs may be hyped, but there is a reason almost nobody rides for flow. And why no-one i know of on the burton team uses the burton step-ins. Pros can choose what they ride, and regardless of what they get paid, nobody wants to ride crap that doeesn't work (actually, a charge i have heard leveled at flow from many people i know). I have only tried flow once, and they were ok, but nothing special.

If you have good boots (the first thing you should go all out for out of all your gear), then there should not be a problem with discomfort and strap bindings.

As an instructor, i get asked this question all the time from beginners. Me (and every other instructor i know) always reccommend strap bindings. Unless you are a hugely overweight guy who cannot reach your bindings sitting down, then don't bother with step ins. The extra 3 seconds is worth it to me. The first time you have to dig yourself out of powder and then try to put your foot back in your binding you will understand.

you are probably right. I just like carrying on like a pork chop at any given chance. ;\) But I do really like Flows

For pro level performance straps are likely better. But for everyone else I just cant not recommend Flow bindings. I have to add that everyone I know who has boarded for a while and use straps take way longer than 3 seconds to strap up. I get tired of waiting for them.

Straps obviously work quite well otherwise the market would have rejected them.

As for re-entry in deep/steep powder, I reckon you are right, clicks would suck. But I think the Flows rule there. I can easily beat my strap friends in and out of the Flows in powder.

Boots: Salomon Malamutes. I prefer wearing them to normal street shoes, that is how comfortable they are for my feet. As soon as they go into strap bindings I lose all that comfort yet can 100% retain the fit and comfort in the Flows.

Perhaps Flow users are Apple Mac users?

Salomons, eh. Stiff boots. Maybe thats why the flows work for you. Because its hard to get the precise fit that strap bindings give with flows, maybe your stiff boots compensate for that. And having comfortable feet is the most important thing. So if it works for you, rad.

I can't ride boots that stiff myself. I got some 32s that work good for me. I liked them so much i got a new pair this year. I'll try them out this week.

Yep, i agree on the lack of precise fit-a-bility of the Flow. And interestingly I had some 32's woth my Flows and for me it was one big bad mistake. The Malamutes are at the other end of the spectrum. Like you say though, if it feels good, ride it. \:\)

DB this may be of interest to ya. Burton and Technine are now making strap bindings with "capstraps". Now I'll admit, I was very skeptical about the new toe strap at first. I just figured it was a new gimmick to sell more bindings. I actually got a chance to try a set last Spring. They actually work as advertised! The cap strap comes down around the front of the boot, with most of the pressure from the strap being transferred down the sidewalls of your boot. Making for a very comfortable fit (i.e. no more squished toes) and secure by forcing your heels into the heel cup of the binding. Plus, being more towards the front of the boot, you get a little more leverage equaling even better response for your heel edge.

Yeah, they look good. Burton has a lower-end binding (the custom) and a mid-range binding (mission) with them. They are a staple on all the high-end ones. Now, i'm not a big fan of (hurtin') Burton, but i will admit that they make good bindings. They are a good place to start if you are looking at getting a pair. Or even ask in the classifieds on this website and somebody might be able to hook you up with a decent used pair.

Buying the straps seperate could be a good way to go too. I do like mine, I think they are a nice improvement over standard toe straps. However, I probably wouldn't have bought them if I wasn't already in the market for new bindings. If your current bindings are in good shape and you like'em, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the new cap straps just for the sake of having them.