advice: Nozawa-book now, or get there and book

Hey, I'm new to this forum. Looking for some advice. My boyfriend and I will be travelling to Japan this winter. We're visiting tokyo, kyoto, osaka, kobe, and want to go skiing in nozawa. Does anyone know of cheap and pleasant places to stay in nozawa? We need to rent equipment too. We're thinking of staying one night or two on Jan 13, and/or 14. by cheap, I mean plus food and lift and possibly rentals for 150 or less(the less the better) Should I book now or book when I get there? I looked at some of the sites from Nozawa site, but the lodging it's all in japanese and I can't read it. Oh and if anyone has any advice on tokyo kyoto osaka kobe, or any place you think is definetly worth going I would love to hear it. Thanks! all advice appreciated!

Hi JoyC, \:\)

January 15th is Fire Fesatival there. So, 13th might be OK, you can find Minshuku but 14th... I think you should book in advance and stay there on 15th, too if you can. The Fire Festival looks awesome.

I couldn't find Nekobi's review of this festival...

Hi there,

If you are planning to move around in Japan a lot you should check this site.

train pass

The Japan Railways offers for an open train ticket for travelers from abroad. You can use it also for the Bullet Trains (Shinkansen).

Just to compare, round trip from Tokyo to Kyoto costs 27000 yen.

• 2 weeks later...

hi thanks for all the advice everyone! the festival does sound very interesting. Are there any places anybody would recommend we stay at? Looking for something relatively cheap but still comfortable say 5000 yen or so for each person. Also, is it better to book now or book later when I get to Japan?

• 2 weeks later...

ahh!! help!! I've been trying to find a place to book, but I can't find one that speaks english and I can't speak Japanese. I went on the Nozawa Onsen site with the list of minshukus and i couldn't reserve with anyone! What should I do? any place that speaks english and is cheap?

I know a place for 6000 a night includes breaky and dinner tickets Im sure that you can buy on your own. They might not be able to speak english though. you can try really nice place.

026-0853-540

tell them when you want to stay and food yes and they will take care of you so good.

Hi Fattwins, I was wondering, the place with the number, do you know if they are close to the lifts and town? Also, do you know if they store luggage before check in and after check out? Is there a website I could check out? Do you think they would charge extra for the 15th? and is it individual rooms or dorm? If you know any of the answers it would be very helpful. I want to call, but since I can't speak Japanese, if I know the answers than maybe it would be easier to just reserve and not ask these questions to them. Thanks!!!

ps the 15th being the fire festival expect to pay more but who knows bad year so they might cut the price. Also if you ask them to hold gear maybe no worries but its a band b so no idea. website not that I know of I went there and I found it to be prefect. private rooms a nice feel like a country inn

JoyC,

The number 026-0853-540 might be wrong.

I guess the number would be +81-(0)269-85-3540.

A web search engine addresses the following for the number.

Moni-No-Ki (Japanese Only)

No.4388, Toyogou, Nozawa-Onsen-Mura,

Shimo-Takai-Gun, Naogako-Ken,

Postal 389-2502, Japan

Tel: +81-(0)269-85-3540

FAX: +81-(0)269-85-4461

URL: http://www.avis.ne.jp/~finest/yado/mominoki.htm

e-Mail: Not Accepted

On-line inquiry: available (Japanese only)

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=36.55.02.75...%b9%cc%ee&kind=

I would tell that it must be very very tough to travel Japan rural and stay at a cheaper inn without Japanese language. In rural areas, most Japanese can not catch your NYC English. (Even I can not catch your "bullet" NYC English.) I would suggest most Japanse can read/write primary English (don't use slangy words).

You may communicate them with faximile communication.

Ref. Nozawa Onsen Official Web site (Japanese, English or German)

http://www.vill.nozawaonsen.nagano.jp/

http://www.vill.nozawaonsen.nagano.jp/info/english/start.htm

http://www.vill.nozawaonsen.nagano.jp/info/german/start.htm

ciao,

A typo;

Moni-No-Ki is wrong.

Momi-No-Ki is correct.

Momi-No-Ki is a RYOKAN type inn, I guess.

Note that:

(1) Non-Japanese PC shows funny characters or blanks for Japanese version web pages.

(2) Some non-Japanese PC shows funny characters or blanks for Japanese e-mail English characters. Most Japanes PC use "MS MINCHO" or "MS UI GOTHIC", FYI. Most Japanese PC can accept "Arial" font which is common at English PC.

ciao,