im moving to japan in less than a year, i've never been before and im just curious how big is hiphop in japan? is american hiphop popular in clubs or is it mostly japanese hiphop?

hiphop is popular in japan. A lot of young people are into the hiphop culture. Just the other day a kid drove by in a lowrider lincoln blasting Tupac and I live in a pretty big but conservative city up North. Clubs play all kinds of things including US and Japanese hiphop. I think you'll find a handfull of J-rap to be decent but mostly they are unoriginal wannabee's. Where are you moving to?

Man, when you arrive in Tokyo I think guys are going to be in for a bit of a shock. I am just having a gentle tease but you and your girly have come up with gems like:

- whats the closest resort for boarding to Shibuya?

- are there any good hiphop nights in Tokyo or Japan?

Serious, don't take offence. These are just great questions. ;\)

(so I dont seem like a smart arse, I will give an answer where I can:

- Good snow is about 90 minutes away from Tokyo, even closer

- In some odd re-make or another Tokyo has everything you want including hh which is very popular. On the topic of what Tokyo's got, I know some guys that might suggest that you needn't bring sand to the beach.

Axion you and s87 are going to have a ball! More hip hop than you can poke a stick at, pretty easy to meet good people for a big city, great clubs, great restaurants.....the list goes on. Getting set up is a bit of a pain but if you have a fairly well paying job, a good attitude and impressive late night stamina you will have a great time, especially on the weekend. Not sure about living in the 'pong or shi-boo-yah tho'. There is such a thing as too much action right on your doorstep.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dims:
There is such a thing as too much action right on your doorstep.
yep. You do not need to live in the midle of the hot spot in Tokyo to feel like you are in the middle of something. Tokyo is not like a normal city in Canada (or Australia, Europe etc). In Tokyo there is no need to live right where the action is. Even the quiet parts are busy enough.
 Quote:
Originally posted by 34 guest(s):
I know some guys that might suggest that you needn't bring sand to the beach.
lol.gif
Maybe I took it the wrong way but... nah I dont want to hurt anybody's feelings. \:D
 Quote:
Originally posted by 34 guest(s):
Man, when you arrive in Tokyo I think guys are going to be in for a bit of a shock. I am just having a gentle tease but you and your girly have come up with gems like:

- whats the closest resort for boarding to Shibuya?
- are there any good hiphop nights in Tokyo or Japan?
Neither of us have been to Japan, we have no idea what to expect when we get there. Just trying to some general info.

Relax, it's just an internet forum.