Hi - I'm a long term visitor, second time poster.

As the snow is this area (Fukui ken - west central honshu) is rapidly dissapearing, I've been doing a couple of back country hikes to make the most of the spring snow before it goes.

If anyone is interested in reading about my last trip, and checking out the pics, you can see more here: www.thefunkydrummer.blogspot.com

I'm also planning on climbing Haku San (ishikawa ken), and riding down, sometime in the next couple of weeks.

If anyone has done a spring climb on Haku san - I'd love to hear about it.

cheers

I climbed Hakusan in mid June last spring from the Gifu side.

Poured rain over night and I got soaked in my bivisack.

Kind of late spring I guess

There was snow in the chutes but that's about it. And it ended before the bottom.

Well - as long as the weather permits - the Haku San trip is on for next weekend.

I'll post a report about it on my site when I get back.

I'm itching to get back on my board, even though I know this will be the last ride till next winter \:\(

Fukui is not famous for anything - including skiing - however - we've got about 9 or so small areas here.

The most well known is Ski Jam in Katsuyama - but there are actually better places to go - though they are small.

Loads of night skiiing on offer - and we got a lot of snow this winter just gone - had a couple of powder sessions where I was the only person there!

There are 4 ski areas within a 20 minute drive from my house - so if it has been snowing, I just grab my board and go night riding after work.

Shiranmine (in the Haku San range of Ishikawa) is also close (about 45mins) and it's a great little spot - steep and deep, and there are several resorts in Gifu that are within a two hour drive.

Also been hiking for some spring snow. The highest mountain is only about 1600m - so nothing huge but I had a brilliant season - getting about 35 days on the slopes.

So - although Fukui's not known for is skiing - it's still a great place for snow lovers.

Hopefully hiking/riding Haku San (2700m) this weekend, weather permitting.

No - I had so much fun in the Fukui zone this winter - that I didn't even get out of the area once - (apart from a trip to Niseko).

It was great to be exploring all the little areas around Fukui - and I didn't even make it to all of them. Next season - I plan to go a little futher afield.

Referring to;

http://www.kagahakusan.jp/file/news.html

1. From 2005.May.13 noon, the road from Ichinose to Betto-Deai is open.

2. From 2005.May.1, Hakusan Murodo Visitor Centre is open. Bed(Futon) service from May 1. Meal service from June 30. Shop opens from July 1.

Reservation is required for Bed or/and Meal. Call 0761-93-1001 .

3. From 2005.Apr.29, Ichinose Visitor Centre is open.