Soon to be departing for Tasmania. Looking for an international moving company with good rates to ship the car and a load of household goods. Anyone done that, any good recommendations? Anyone have any idea what is a reasonable price? (probably looking at a twenty or forty foot cantainer)

Most of the international movers are pretty expensive (About 30man for an amount the equivalent to what one of those big Japanese double doored closets would hold). Probably better to do it yourself. Quite a hassle but loads cheaper to rent the container and load & unload it yourself at port. Got a friend who does a bit of car exporting to Oz. I'll ask him to post here.

Shipping costs are skyrocketing, mostly due to increased fuel costs - a friend is moving back to NZ was quoted 700,000 yen for a 20 ft container (packed) last week and he nearly had a heart attack...

If the container quotes are not below 700,000, you'll be seeing some very attractive items appearing in the sayonara sales section!

Me jane, thanks for any help. I don't mind doing it all myself, any contacts for container rental greatly appreciated (googled but not many results...)

I used Crown to move me from Sydney to tokyo. They sucked a bit (Australian end crap, Tokyo end quite good). I then used Allied Pickfords to take me from Tokyo to London. They did a superb job of packing and the London service was quite reasonable, but as usual the western level of customer care is never as high as in Japan.

I don't remember how much the Syd-Tok move cost. The Tok-Lon move cost about 800,000. Both moves included flying my dog and that increases the cost a little, as will the weight of your car in the container. My company pays for my moves so I never really put much thought into doing it myself, but I suppose you could save a bit by doing your own packing and arranging the shipper.

I lived is Tasmania for a few years and it has crossed my mind to go back there and become a hippy (after I spend a few years in NY). Where will you be living? You will find the people very friendly but even more un-worldly than the Japanese.

Hey. Im janes friend

Basically those prices are a little on the high end. Again, it depends how much you are willing to do yourself.

Basically a 20ft container should be about 2400USD (250,000) yen ex Yoko, Nagoya, Osaka to Australia. I dont think their is a regular liner to Tassie so you may be looking at a melbourne to hobart transfer.

On the japan side you will need to get a freight forwarder to pack the container. Sometimes you can do it yourself, but usually not. Depending on the quantity of stuff, you will be looking at probably 150,000 yen for packing customs clearance and terminal handling in Japan

On top of that, expect about 1200AUD to get the container off the wharf and cleared. Also consider domestic transport to and from your home in both countries.

Id suggest if you do it yourself you will probably save about 150-250,000yen.

If your interested, send me an email and i can give you the names of some shipping companies to approach for quotes.

Hey Miteyak,

Moving to Tassie, good move. I spent most of my life there and it is a great place. Where will you be moving to, Hobart? For any advice just PM me.

Just a word of advice about moving, if you get your stuff shipped to Melbourne you can save a huge amount of money getting your car fully packed with gear over to Tassie. Because Melbourne to Devonport is now part of the national highway scheme, when you travel on the Spirit of Tasmania ferry you can get your car over for A$50 or thereabouts. If you load the car up you can get a heap of stuff over at the same time. Otherwise shipping a car to Tassie will cost you around $500. They have cheap day sailings as well, although these are rather boring unless you have a good book.

Enjoy Tassie life!

Thanks all, I've sent off lots of requests, waiting for the quotes to come back now.

Really looking forward to Tassie, been researching/planning the move for several years now...

Dims, looking to get a place around New Norfolk, some acreage in the country. Any good BC route advice for Mt. Field area?

PM me with a wish list, and I'll see what I can do. Got a lot of stuff, but will be shipping most to Tassie. but, as they say, everything's for sale, at the right price...

Lots of white goods will obviously have to go, aircons, prob TV, amp, speakers, washing machine, etc.