I've recently started skinning up instead of hiking and I noticed that after skinning for several hours, I have trouble changing gears into downhill mode and end up skiing down like I'm a total beginner and just barely on this side of being in control.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Does it ever get easier to transition? Or am I just skinning for too long or at too great an angle?

Same alpine boots.

Each trek was about 3 1/2 hours up about a 10-17 gradient and down a 35.

I was a little tired, but was well-hydrated, took a nice long rest, even stretched, before heading down.

Wasn't even hung over. wakaranai.gif

Glad I'm not the only one CB

It felt more like being strapped to the hood of the car than being in the backseat

180ish Legend pros w/ Naxo01s, which is (and I can't emphasize this enough) BY FAR the best setup I've ever used on piste or off.

I was practically the only one rocking the lift-accessed 37 run at ALTS all day right after a 60cm dump with em. The next day, when I decided to skin up to part of a mountain that I'd been thinking about for a while. It turned out to be a bit less challenging and interesting than it looked, but I could barely even manage it.

The thoughts I had were:

1) maybe the LPs are too heavy for any extended ascent, tiring my quads out and throwing my legs muscle balance off?

2) even with the heel platform up to its highest setting for most of a pretty substantial ascent, the platform wasn't high enough so I was still kinda compensating for a backwards lean most of the way up. Maybe even after clicking in I couldn't stop compensating?

3) its all in my head--the contrast of going from slow, step-by-step skiing to a downhill skiing speeds all of a sudden made it seem like I was going faster than I really was?

If its 1, I can probably fix the problem with a lighter set of touring skiis (but man would I miss the LPs downhill performance). If its 2, I can probably choose ascents with a smaller gradient. If its 3, I just need to get out more.

Thoughts anyone?

The top two buckles were on #1. That said, they are really stiff boots. So you might be on to something.

A rando boot would be best, but unfortunately just not an option this year. You think resurrecting an old soft alpine boot might help?