Hi all. I'm currently in the market for a new jacket. My needs are pretty simple. I want something with light/medium insulation (heavy is ok too if the liner is removable), handwarmer pockets, and a powder skirt/snow gaiter. Simple, right?

So I've found a few jackets with these specs, but all were either hideously ugly or had other bizarre issues. For instance, I liked everything about a Marmot I found except for the fact that, when fully zipped-up, the jacket folded in such a way that the zipper assaulted my throat. I think Burton stuff looks pretty solid, but I've had a hell of a time finding any stores in/around Sapporo (my home) that carry more than one model. I'm particularly interested in the Burton Shield, but can't find it anywhere, not even at the goliath Xebio Dome near the Sapporo Dome.

Any ideas/suggestions? Hopefully I'll up and running with a new jacket by the time this craptastic soggy weather gives way to real winter.

if i was you, being up in hokkaido and all, i'd go for something pretty tech as i imagine the weather gets pretty heavy sometimes. i'd go for a burton ak, amazing jackets, get a thin shell with really good waterproofing and breathability and then you basically wear a decent fleece underneath on the really cold days. i have seen some shit-hot deals on last year's ak jackets here in japan. they are the flagship burton bc jackets. otherwise i could definately recommend bonfire outerwear as really good, reliable and long-lasting but also pretty pricy. from mine and my friends' experiences, stay clear of not so large snowboard brands such as nitro and ride. i have seen many a jacket fall apart at the seams... stick to the big guns. i had a burton ronin last season and it was the best jacket i ever had. 20 000mm waterproofing but thin enough for spring riding. when it got cold in whistler i just whacked a fleece on underneath. dapper. if you know anyone in tokyo get them to do a recon mission in ochanomizu. i cleared up there, got some distressingly good deals on bonfire outerwear, i honestly daren't go back there anymore as the deals are too good... bon chance!

coming from a background in mountain rescue, all the jackets Ive owned have been a shell of three ply Gortex or some other cloth of the same quality or water proofness. It really depends on what you expect of your jacket or pants, the money your prepeard to put into it reflects on the quality you get. If you go for a really "COOL" lable, you get a really Cool lable at an expencive cost but if your prepared to research a little and go for a renound name, with references, where you know the quality is not going to let you down, even if you wear it for 1 year or ten, it should still be just like youve just bought it. I got sponsered by MACPAC of Nz for about 6 years for outer clothing for sking/snowboarding, mountain guiding and all sorts of winter weather activities, and the 1 set they gave me was all that I needed. I might be a little 1 minded about it, but I think 1 set should do you for everything, check out mamout, Low alpine, Ark Teryx (Spelling?) Black Diamond etc. Or if your willing to by ONLINE and wait for a few weeks MACPAC is as good as any I have ever had. peace be with you in you decision

I originally thought that shell style boarding jackets were compact and light weight. Then I handled an Arc'Teryx Sidewinder jacket with a stowable hood (new in 04/05). Holy moses, that bugger is the goods. Promptly bought one I did (ordered on internet from America at a relatively decent price). They seriously weigh a fraction of 'snowboard industry' shells. I am hoping for the garment performance that Telleboy talks about. I reckon I will get it (but prolly could have done so at a lower price from a competing brand?)

Like Telleboy says you can research the littles and get something that will be pretty good.

In Canada we have Mountain Equipment Co-op or MEC for short. MEC website . You have to buy into the company but it's cheap and life long. No mark up on the clothing and stands up there with the best for a fraction of the price.

Congrats on the purchase dear britain. Did you check out their bib pants? They are really nice as well.

If you do go with a shell jacket like arc'teryx. Try going to shugakuso (spelling) in Sapporo. Located just off the kita juni jo subway station I think the address is 4 N 13 N.

Shinybrick

If you're not going to do any hiking (backcountry or a jump/halfpipe), jacket with some insulation mightn't be a bad idea. In Hokkaido, it can get mighty cold sitting on those lifts in the wind.

FYI, I've got a North Face backcountry jacket. It's a Japan-only one designed by Takeuchi Masanori, a Japanese bc snowboarder. It's unlined Goretex with sealed zips and big vents. I got it 60% off thanks to a friend of a friend working there. It's very similar to the Burton AK3 Gore jacket. I've tried on one of the Burton ones and I think they're tailored quite tightly over the midriff, which will limit who the jacket fits and what you can wear underneath. The shape is completely different to the Burton Ronin stuff, so don't buy one without trying.

http://www.goldwin.co.jp/tnf/apparel/rtg/ns15205.html

North Face gear made under licence in Japan by Goldwin has a much better rep than parallel imported stuff sold in the States. I like my jacket a lot, but if it was a case of paying full price, I wouldn't have bought it. I'd go the Fattwins route and see what I can get for 10,000 yen. I think most gear is overpriced.

I've got Gore summer raingear too, and while it is very waterproof, I wouldn't rave about the breathability of the material. If you soon get hot, buy something with big vents.

If you're thinking of getting something via Yahoo Auctions, note that lots of the TNF and Patagonia gear on offer is clearly fake. Patagonia are kind of in since Kimu Taku wore one of their jackets in a dorama.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Did you check out their bib pants? They are really nice as well.
;) Theta desu.... and no new board for me this season... my second hand Burton rides on. That board was the best 15000 yen I spent Works out at 5000yen per season... no probs \:\) with that value.

In addition (and off topic)...

If this doesn't paint a picture of rip-off then I do not know what does. It also highlights the extreme weakness of the poor old USD right now.

Arc'teryx Sidewinder jacket

In a very big London mountain/snow shop: £400!!! (that is USD780)

Via America, ordered off the internet USD450 (or £230)

And, I was not charged VAT on delivery (which was free)

Weigh it up:

£400 vs. £230

I am stunned at the difference.

ps - moosejaw.com have a 15% discount on all Arc'teryx at the moment. I missed out \:\(

No mate, that is why I bought a new one!

(I got a flat tire recently so I just went and bought a new bike instead of fixing it. That is the truth as well. But I was buying the bike anyway, the flat tire was just a coincidence.... still,I like to pretend it was the reason for a new bike)