A party of five skiers had a moutaineering accident in montains of Hakuba/Otari area.

http://sbc21.co.jp/my-cgi/sbc_news.cgi?page=seventop&date=20060409&id=0106428&action=details

They started climbing from Tsukaike ski resort for Renge Onsen on April 8 morning. A guy(57) called on help to Tsugaiki ski office by phone at around 2:00pm on April 8. He told that they had suffered from avalanche and would return to Tsugaike. The guy was safe and came back to Tsugaike on April 9 early morning by himself without injuries. Heli rescued remaining four (males: 29, 57, 66 and 68) on April 9 morning who bivouacked in the mountain at night. They were in serious condition and transfered to hospical immediately. Two are in unconscious condition and two(66 and 68) were dead in hospital.

Update: One(29) is in unconscious condition and three(57, 66 and 68) were dead in hospital.

Yahoo! Map (Renge Onsen):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=36.48.25.80...2%b9%c0%f4&sc=5

Comment:

This route is very popoular among BC skiers. A typical schedule is from Tsugaike ski resort to Tengu-hara thru Furiko-sawa to Renge-Onsen on 1st day, staying Renge-Onse at that night, and then it is from Renge-Onsen to Kaku-Touge to Kijiya village on 2nd day. BC skiing season starts from late March when Renge Onsen Lodge opens (Mar. 18 in 2006). Main route (Furiko-sawa) has less risk on avalanche. Some routes (e.g. Norikura-sawa) may have higer risk on avalanche. If they met the avalanche on Furiko-sawa route, we must have much concern on this news.... Again I tell this route is very popular among BC skiers from late March.

man, the weather was terrible yesterday. Why on earth didn't they turn back? We were riding at Happo from 8:30am and there was no visibility and very windy. It got worse and worse and was a fullon blizzard by 11am when we called it a day

A source reported bodies were found at 700m NW to Tsugaike Hutte (open now). It means they DID come back to Tengu-ppara. Probably it was no visibility at "flat" Tengu-ppara. If they knew the terrains VERY well, they could come back....

Yahoo! Map (Tsugaike Hutte):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=36.46.15.03...2%b9%c0%f4&sc=4

that is close to the route that toque and i did.

there are naturals all over the place right now. I can see 4 without even trying hard from my school and the vis is 1t 1200 meters at the moment.

Unless we get rid of this ice layer it is stupid to be in the backcountry unless on very safe ridges. we need warm weather or rain to slide the snow off.

yesterday will go done as one of hakubas worst ever i think.

Seven of my firends had a Renge-Onsen tour on Apr 8-9. They had to use compuses when finding Furiko-sawa route at Tengu-ppara under snow storm with "thick fog". They heard thunder when entering Furiko-sawa. When descending Furiko-sawa, the wind direction was changed from south to north, then the temperature was getting to be low rapidly below frozen line. Furiko-sawa had wetty fresh snow which was bad for ski descending.

Logs:

> 2006.APR.08 (Sat)

> Early morning Rain @Hakuba JR Stn

> Snow @ Tsugaike Gondora Stn

> Snowstorm & Thick Fog @ Tengu-ppara

> Thunder @ Furiko-zawa start

> Strong Wind & Very Low Temparature @ Furiko-zawa

> Stay @ Renge Onsen Hut

> 2006.APR.09 (Sun)

> Early morning Cloudy @ Renge-Onsen

> Blue Sky @ Yahoo-Daira

> Thick Fog @ Kaku-Touge start/descent

> Reach @ Kijiya village

Source: Nihon Keizai Shinbun 2006/04/10 Evening

The leader (male 57) told;

1. The wind was very strong when starting climbing. They anticipated the strong wind would be weaken when entering into Furiko-sawa valley.

2. The thick fog made visibility worse at Tengu-ppara. They lost their way, and entered in another valley than Furiko-sawa.

3. They realized they went wrong after descending of 300m. Then, they decided to return to Tengu-ppara. They begun to put skins.

4. An avalance attacked them when putting skins. It was a small one so that they were floated few meters. No one was buried.

5. But, the avalanche robbed of their backpacks and skis mostly. At this point, the leader estimated to be able to return to Tugaike Hutte(open) by the sunset optimistically.

6. Their hike up speed was slow than estimated, so they had to vibouac on the way to the hut.

7. They digged a snow cave by skis which had only three spaces. Both the leader and a guy(66) had to spend a night outside. All foods were only two Onigiri(rice packs) and a can of apricot nectar.

8. On April 9 early morning, the guy(66) had been dead when they started to go to the hut.

9. Four headed to the hut. Three stranded on the way to the hut.

10. The leader DID reach the hut, Tsugaike hutte.

11. Rescue team found the remaining four dead in snow.

Yahoo! Map (Tengu-ppara):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=36.46.47.72...2%b9%c0%f4&sc=4

Comment:

Furiko-sawa is for north. Norikuara-sawa(hazardrous) is for NNW. Kazafuki-O-Ike is for NNE. I imagine they might lost their way for Kazafuki-O-Ike.

Saddly and I see this a lot on my travels through the Japanese mountains

Most people come from the big cities and only get to be in the mountains 2 or 3 times a year. They pay guides to take them into the mountains and if the weather isn't very nice they go anyways. It's their vacation and they have been planning it for months. Rain, wind and snow isn't going to turn them away.

I hope that the government steps in to make some guidelines for guides to follow. It doesn't need to be over regulated but there has to be something that stops guides from taking people out in poor conditions.