Anyone on here have any gear by Ogasaka (?) and any thoughts on it?

Someone I know has some that they are selling on for cheap and insisting it is top noth. I'm going to be researching elsewhere but thought I'd ask if there was anyone here with first hand thoughts.

Thanks!

What kind of ski are you looking for? Why are you considering Ogasaka other than a cheap price?

I have no doubts that those hand-made wooden skis hold up. I see a gazzilion people on them at my local hill. (I have no experience with them.) I'm sure they make a good product, but most reputable companies do as well.

I think there may be a hand-made/japan pride involved in owning a pair. They surely haven't broken the world-wide market even though they have been making skis since 1912. (Praxis, PMGear, Kingswood, DP, Movement, amongst others all have managed to gain world-wide recognition in the last 10 years. Mainly due to their shapes/ construction.)

Again, I'm sure they last, I'm sure they're quality. I too contemplated buying a pair and would be open to do so in the future. However, I no longer buy skis for durability reasons alone. Who wants a ten year old ski anyway? Especially if you had to pay hand-made prices. They are typically very expensive in this country- which says alot, being as shipping and customs aren't part of the price.

The wholsale prices of Ogasaka outside Japan are ridiculous. That is the reason why you won't see them much anywhere outside Japan.

I talked to the Int Sales manager at the ISPO last January and he started the conversation with an apology that the skis were high priced. (very Japanese) Then he showed me the pricelist and the distributor prices were on the same level as most competitor retail prices.

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Thanks for the posts. I'm not actually desperate to buy I was just curious because I had not really heard anything about this make.

Are they popular in Japan or one of the smaller brands even there?

The first time I went skiing was on some rather old Ogasaka. I have some fond memories of them but I was well excited when I bought my first new shiny Rossignols.

A really good skier Japanese colleague of mine won't use anything else, he loves his Ogasaka skis... got 4 sets. I don't know the model names, but they at least look good lol.gif It might just be where I am but there doesn't seem to be much choice, maybe they don't do such a wide range.