Some you blokes who responded to the guys question need to have a look at yourselves. The guy asked a legitimate question and he's just been absolutely savaged on this post. What a way to welcome a new member to the community. When a N. American asks me a legitimate question about cricket or footy I don't go outta my way to make him look ignorant and me look like this big expert in my field. Some of you guys have an oversized opinion of yourselves and your Japan experiences. wave.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Mudguts:
Some you blokes who responded to the guys question need to have a look at yourselves. The guy asked a legitimate question and he's just been absolutely savaged on this post. What a way to welcome a new member to the community. When a N. American asks me a legitimate question about cricket or footy I don't go outta my way to make him look ignorant and me look like this big expert in my field. Some of you guys have an oversized opinion of yourselves and your Japan experiences. wave.gif
Nah, what we probably did was to prevent an arrogant boarder over estimating his ability and getting into trouble. Trouble that might have put rescuers into hazards they would rather not be in.

Or, causing an avie that might have buried FT on the one miracle occasion he was in Hokkaido checking out the powder.

Damn... Bare knuckle action on SJ today! Hope I'm not too perverse for enjoying trash talk like this on the internet. Showmethepow, don't take it personally. Its like of them Brit longboarders at your local pub on the GC, heading off to Ulu Watu, talking trash about Gold Coast three-foot peaks. Anyway, I wish I was going. Have a good time and don't kill yourself, dude!

shw_me_da_powder.

Mate These guys are giving you a hammering for good reason.

I've done shit lots of boarding in all kinds of places myself. But as far as snow/mountain experience goes I'm probably the lowest ranked member of this forum, still I think I would know a lot more than you. At least I know what is safe and what is not.

This is the response I got when inquiring about the very same places you are going.

You'll notice that I was hammered about safety too but with a slightly more civilized tone. Perhaps it was because I approached the topic without a Yahooo-Here I come-Let me at it-Where's da powder-I know everything type attitude. ;\)

Shitty start and middle more like!

One part of our town has a famous cross country ski festival on 10th February - it seems today they have cancelled it for the first time ever as there is, er, no snow. The last few days they have been moving snow around, but have now given up on the festival.

They're talking about spring now..

Dude

What all these people are eloquently trying to say is that Back Country snow is a seriously dangerous place to be if you don't know how to read the snow conditions and how to plan routes to minimise the risk. This is especially true of places that get large amounts of snow like Japan and

Canada, etc.

That gorgeous looking slope that is just asking to be ridden could kill you. And it gets worse, after it kills you it could carry on down the hill and kill anyone else below it.

The other thing someone mentioned is that riding deep powder for the first time is damn hard. It takes a number of days to "get it". You don't want to be bailing in the middle of a dangerous slope.

So enjoy the Back Country, but get a guide who knows the local conditions and make sure you can competently ride the pow before you head out.

Quote:
Originally posted by SirJibAlot:
I'm not even sure why you guys waste any time repling to this joker...
b/c we've been in avalanche terrain before and don't want some jong or gorbie starting one on top of us

what a gaper. if gorbie has only ridden a handful of times, how can it except to ride powder? definitely must be a gaper. lol.gif
  • SnowJapan Moderator

This thread is beginning to create more than a few behind the scene problems and a few unpleasant messages coming our way. Because it also isn't really going anywhere, we are going to close it.

Please feel free of course to take any issues worthy of discussion into another thread.

Thanks for your understanding.