JAL international baggage limits for non US travellers

Just so you know, and others don't get caught. JAL has a 20KG limit. So it's all your clothes and all your stuff to the limit of 20KGs and then anything over, WHAM! Excess fees applies. So weigh your stuff carefully, and also make sure your carry on luggage of max 5KGS is close to 5KGS and make it count!

In case you want more info, check here

CLICK HERE!

Pretty annoyed about this, but if they're going to limit my baggage and try to get me to pay excess, then I might as well be creative. I think I'll wear my helmet on the plane, "hey it looks like a hat, and it's a part of my relgion!" ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
just stick all your gear in your ski/board bag
it's not like I have 20kgs in lugagge plus 20kgs for my ski bag = (40kgs), it's 20kgs total, the whole lot, skis, poles, boots, pants, jacket, jeans clothes, everything!

that's retarded. It says the max size is 158cm for first class and 115cm for economy???!!! There must be a mistake. Nobody has skis that small. You should call them and find out. I've never had to pay extra for a double board bag flying japan to canada or europe

Roo, unless you are traveling to the US Most carriers have a 20kg limit.

They seem pretty out to get you though, even with the golf clubs.

Why is it someone travelling to Japan from OZ can only have 20kg's on the same size plane and those going to the US can have 32kg? Craaaazy.

get creative with your foot! & if ya flying from OZ, usually they're not so anal.

when you throw your bag down on the scale let the end hang off a tiny bit and take some of the weight off by supporting it with your foot.

if you're in dire straights, put on all your top layers, pass through customs and take everything off

Quote:
Originally posted by Powderoo:
I think I'll wear my helmet on the plane, "hey it looks like a hat, and it's a part of my relgion!" ;\)
lol.gif Tell them it's just a safety precaution in case the plane goes down! ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
if you're in dire straights, put on all your top layers, pass through customs and take everything off
Thats exactly what we were going to do, I'll be wearing my ski jacket, I'll have my gloves stashed in my pocket maybe goggles as well, man I'll look like Michelin man I'll have so much stuff on me.
michelin-man.jpg
;\) \:D

I have a 20kg limit and a 20kg extra cos of membership etc.

The last time I went, my ski bag was 32kgs and my case was 19kg. And that's just my own stuff.

There is no way you can carry your ski stuff and what you need for the trip within 20kg. NO WAY!! JAL sucks, and United, and NW. They all suck!

I've got some Elan mantis M12's, one helluva good freeride ski. Plus I don't see why I should have to rent?

Thursday's right, I'm going to be pushing it to make all my stuff weigh under 20kg's, but I do like a challenge.

Quote:
Originally posted by SirJibAlot:
is that domestic only?
we're talking about international, but as far as I understand my GF rang up and asked about domestic (seeing we have to connect from Narita to Sapporo) and it's still 20KGS.

good to know...i'm on ANA tomorrow, so i'll have to check thier regulations. I'm Star Alliance Gold member, so I think I get some kind of extra allowance - but you never want to find out the hard way. I think I may just KuroNeko my gear back from Nisseko - less hassle.

As far as I know, it isn't JAL only, it's the airports, so Qantas, etc should have the same limits. It's not about the weight on the plane otherwise (believe me) they would charge airline tickets by body weight... but a baggage handler doesn't need to lift you onto the aircraft, usually, so only the luggage has a limit. At the Aussie end they tend to be a bit more relaxed with weight limits, and if you need to move stuff internally in Japan, the Takkyubin service is really good. You will cop the excess baggage charge on the return leg, though.

And Powderoo, you've said before this is your first trip to Japan. I won't continue off topic, but let me know how you get on with the Mantises in the deep powder (assuming there is some). My Elan 666's were pretty hard work in the soft, and I ended up renting fats anyway, so I'm leaving them at home this time.

PowderRoo, ya stressing too much.

Domestic are useually cool too as most people do carry large bags.

If you are in Japan and they want to kick up a fuss, get your boards sent via TAKYUBIN service ( shipped seperatly to ya hotel) works out cheaper.

hope all goes well!