It's too cold to go out on the balcony to scrape my wax off, so I usually do it in my kitchen (as it has the most sweepable floor). The shavings get all over the floor and my clothes. Harder waxes basically turn to dust as I scrape and the particles fill the air/my lungs. How dangerous is this to my health? Let's say I wax and scrape about once a week.

And I know that this problem would go away if I just scraped at the base of the mountain like a lot of people, but I'm always too anxious to get on the snow so I don't want to waste twenty minutes of the morning scraping in the parking lot.

I don't think any non-fluoro is dangerous. There is an article in the BEST WAX thread that I posted, perhaps you saw it.

If you want to prevent loose/light shavings and still want to scrape at home, don't let your bases cool too much, set them by your heater, that will result an easier to control group of shavings. (maybe you know that though...)

Yeah, i have a few bars of the environmentally friendly wax. Its by a company called hillbilly

http://www.hillbillywaxworks.com/Hillbilly/Home.cfm

i can sell a few, if anyone wants any. I will also have a box set to give away at the bikecar showing in late feb in nagano city.

And bikecar is a great film! Nothing grarly, just a bunch of pros pedaling to different resorts and riding groomers. Just a fun film.

The wax is probably the least of your concern compared to base cleaner. One of those flimsy cold masks wont help can you say respirator and lots of ventilation. Still trying to find citrus based base cleaner here to no avail. still bad for you but better compared to the petroleum based products.

how often do you clean your bases? why are they so dirty? If you are just removing yesterday's wax, may I remind you that World-Cup racing techs consider Structure more important than wax?

Base cleaner is nice when dealing with a base fresh from the factory, or after you skied through a cat's oil puddle. Otherwise, if you don't have any reason to remove old wax, why bother? Honestly, what is base-cleaner removing other than old-wax, which hasn't proven itself destructive to anyone who doesn't need a gold medal?

(but yes, that stuff's toxic.)

BTW- i haven't used base-cleaner in several years. I just don't understand why one would.

Use it about once a year on the alpines. I'll usually take the bases all the way down at the beginning of the season or if I have major base repair. Then again we have over 10 pairs of skis in the house.

I also use it to clean up kick wax on the cross country's.

Hate the stuff it's vile

If you really need to clean your base and don't have base cleaner, just hot scrape - hot wax your board and scrape before the wax cools off. This will pull all the shit out of the pores of the p-tex just as well as any cleaner.