I saw another thread on this topic, but it was more confusing than helpful

(http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/5032.html?)

This half stoned snowboarder dude once told me...."DUDE, orange goggles are choice for cloudy days, but don't bust them out in blue skys or you'll mess up your eyes - you need some mirror lenses..."

I don't know how sound that advice was, given the source. Does anyone know the real deal here. Do we really need a 'quiver' of goggles?

-SJA

it's true, the orange/yellow/brown lenses help more in the flat cloudy days, and the reflective help more on the clear sunny days. Electric goggles, come with these two lenses, so you can change them depending on the day.

Yes and no , personally I find swapping lenses out to be a real pain , but that all depends on the design of the goggle and the laziness of the person. I have two pairs of Smith Fuse regulators. First pair has a sensor mirror lens (very light blue with a VLT of 70% ) which I use for flat light or snow days , the second pair are a rose/copper combo ( VLT of 36% )these are for mixed to sunny conditions. I always carry the spare in my bacpack just in case the conditions change suddenly.

true, fiddling around on the slope trying to change lenses is not the way to go. I normally take a punt and hope it's either sunny all day or overcast all day.

Mind you you can get all round type goggles with a minor tint and minor reflective tint, that cope with flat to semi bright.

I have a quiver of goggles. If you can't see, you can't ski.

changing lenses on the hill is a pain, I change at home where the frame/lens is warm. I have two oakley a-frames and four lenses. I also have two smiths with orange lenses. One of them will always be in my pocket incase I stack and pack my goggles with snow.

new skis/bindings- $500-1000

boots- $300-700

clothes- $200-...

season pass/lift tickets- $200-800

Two pairs of Oakley A-frames/4 lenses- $240.00 even. (and that's expensive/retail)

goggles are pretty cheap. Often my spare pair is given to my dumb-ass friend who only has one pair and tumbled in the deep, ruining his day. I hate losing partners to lodge-defrost time.

On Sunday at Hakuba my goggles died on me, fogging between the lenses and I can vouch for not seeing making it hard to ride the pow. Faceshots with no goggles doesn`t work for sure.

I think I am a convert to the backup goggles plan as of this weekend.

right. mirrored goggles provide plenty of vis at night.

Hey everybody, the sun set, let's put on our mirrors. \:D

I'm sure they're 'fine'- keep the snow and wind out of your eyes, etc... and if you don't do much night riding, you'll probably be happy. But, if you do habitually ride nights, you're probably not reading this thread, eh? :p (like my sore ass \:\( )

but if you ride nights more than a holiday or two, clear are waaay worth the investment. The flood lights provide perfect contrast. ideally, no goggles would suffice, but we're talking riding.

oh, just got back from night-riding. lol.gif (Hasselhoff used to be me.) I love my quiver and I love seeing more than you... wives, gayness, mooonlight pow... it's all just so vast.

Word of the week= vast. I have a vast array of clarity. you're all blind. :p you single-sighted-closed-minded-don't-need-more-than-one-lens-think-eyes-don't-adjust children.

I won't wait for you at the bottom. wave.gif oh wait... are you too slow for a gay-married man?

Hell... it's 9:15. I've gone to work, left early, skied, drank and now I'm drunk getting ready to shave my back.

got bic?

Samurai, bro - you gotta stop hitting the SJ site after polishing off a few too many bottles of the old imo shochu!

I've always gone mirrored, cloud or shine. Perhaps I need to expand my quiver of goggles to include some orange or rose. Any specific recommendation for cloud days?

-SJA

Googles? I just bought pair of Smiths 1500yen , double Lens - an excellent buy except for the hidous colour of the frame and strap but who really cares?

The 7 season old Smith V3's have been finally benched.

You cant beat Smith - for googles or Sunglasses.

The googles do the trick, comfy and no fogging and dont have a 10000yen 'O' badge on the side.

Last sunny day I rocked the sunglasses, it was a refreshing change cruising on the groomers - eyes watering.

Quote:
Originally posted by SirJibAlot:
Samurai, bro - you gotta stop hitting the SJ site after polishing off a few too many bottles of the old imo shochu!

I've always gone mirrored, cloud or shine. Perhaps I need to expand my quiver of goggles to include some orange or rose. Any specific recommendation for cloud days?

-SJA
gomen ne. I'm hung over now. Perhaps those ten moonlight pow lines entailed one too many. thumbsup.gif

goggle rec's? whatever... as long as you have options/backups for when you tumble and pack your lense with snow. (it's funny, i rarely pack my goggles now that I have a no-fall rule from my previously-endured injuries.)

every year I buy a new frame and replacement lens. do that a couple of years and you'll be set. (oakley keeps their molds the same for several years running and offer replacement lenses right on their site. That's my main reasoning. I'm a fan of oakley and smith but stay uniform via oakley.

120 bucks a year retail for a new top-of-the-line goggle and a replacement lens is pretty cheap, imo.