to ski/ride in Gunma?

I'll probably be up that way in a few weeks (specifically Ota City, Gunma), before making my way into Nagano hopefully. I'll be driving and I'm trying to map out which ski resorts to hit...

Ota city is still in the Kanto plane where you can not see ski resorts. Driving to Maebashi to Shibukawa, then you may see snow on roads after passing Numata. I would suggest to go to Hotaka Bokujo ski resort if you don't want to see difficulty on snow driving. No mountain pass is from Numato to the resort. It has also some BC ski areas outbound (less in Jan/Feb???).

Thanks, SnowConnection. hmm... Ota City seems pretty far from the mountains. Actually, I'm trying to combine work and pleasure. I have to go to Ota and I was thinking about hitting a ski hill in Gunma before going Nagano (on my way home). That doesn't seem to really work though -- Might be better to head straight to Nagano. I'm guessing that would involve less snow driving too.

You might find the Minakami now page to be useful, some info about resorts on there and who they suit. Here's my choice:

Tenjin - small but great snow

Kawaba - good little place, excellent snow when I have been

Houdaigi - for skiers

Marunuma Kogen - a bit further but long season and usually good snow

Those are all to the east of the expressway/train lines.

The the west you've got Kusatsu as well which is worth a visit. And Manza in the same direction, good onsen. Those places are basically on the other side of the mountain from Shiga Kogen (but they aren't connected).

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi ger

The road connecting Kusatsu to Shiga Kogen is closed in the winter season (usually from late November until around late April I think, or something like that), so getting from one to the other is a considerable journey if you want to do it even though they are physically very close.

All the best for the New Year!

The drive from Shiga Kogen over to Kusatsu (or the other way round) is really good. Usually do it every year at least once. Apart from being very pretty, it's a great way into Nagano from Gunma, very useful. The top of Kusatsu to Shibutoge isn't that far at all. I'm sure some madman in the bubble period was thinking of creating a gondola to connect them!

I am going to Kawaba with some friends next weekend... hoping for some new snowfall before then. I've heard it's a decent place. If you read that interview with Fattwins on the site he used to work there it seems.

When I went to Houdaigi, the snow was really good. Even better at Tenjin, they get excellent snow up there (shame about the resort). Not sure it would be much good right now, but when the major dumps arrive...

Manza Onsen in Gunma. Some of the lightest,driest powder on Honshu. Snowfall is very consistent during winter and being a little bit off the beaten track is never crowded. Great onsens, too. Highly recommended! Omotemanza, 10 mins before Manza on the road in is also well worth a look while you are in the region. It has long runs. I'll be doing a weekend at Manza this season for sure.