The El Nino is ON...what does that usually mean for Japan?

It looks like the El-Nino is ON this year.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/

In California, that usually mean TONS OF SNOW, but i'm not sure how that effects Japan. Last season seemed to be extremely long, but this one seems to be getting off to a slow start. Was wondering if any of our long term Japan resident members can remember the last el-nino and what it meant for snow here.

thanks,

-SJA

My Japanese friend was talking about this last night. He said "warm winter". He might be talking bollocks, but I thought I'd just let you know ;\) Not sure if he believes in the kamemushi and jellyfish stories as well.

Yea, I did some research on this and it looks like all of Japan (from Hokkaido to Okinawa) gets a bit warmer. It should be dumping snow on the west coast, but only a little bit so far. Let's hope it gets better, I'm Hakuba bound next weekend....

-SJA

I don't really know what to make of the "seasonal" weather predictions every year.

I remember last year my friend telling me my nose was white... time to go down. I remember how the cold compared to minnesota frost-bite days. I remember chest deep snow, frost on every square centimeter of anything outside. Then a month later, it rained. I remember standing in the same spot on top of the mountain getting rained on- in January.

you'll just have to see.. every season is different and the weather seems nearly impossible to predict. If it were that predictable, EVERYBODY would know the forecast.

I just listen to old farmers, they seem to know "seasonal" forecasts the best.

Saw a segment on CBS this morning about the lack of snow in New York State. The warm weather in NY, in the 60s (whatever that may be) is caused by the shift in the Jet Stream which has brough warmer air over the east coast. Normally this would be over the Atlantic.

Not only is Europe suffering, it’s much of the same in the states.

six days over the last three weeks. Sunday was busy too, a 40 minute first tram line, and it was raining (lightly) at the base! I'm not the only lunatic. Not a drop of snow in my driveway, so I understand the tenative ambitions to go. Nonetheless, I know my new skis rip and I can't wait to go again on saturday... albeit mud-dodging conditions at lower mountain.

good to see you back online soubs. glad to hear the boys are in town and hitting the snow. if we can meet up while they are here, i'd be glad to give them a lesson.

tomorrow is my last day.

it's time to make a commitment.

samurai, when are you going up to zao next?

dreaming of an excuse for a nenkyu thursday. If no new snow, may save the nekyus for powder season. saturday regardless. waiting for after-work-crud sessions to kick in. I can't wait for highspeed quads, flood lights and light snow at 6pm.

btw, my new skis rip and need much more attention than the weekend loving I've been providing. I can't even ski 'em yet. they're fricking fast. I'm panicking by the time I reach the chair.

nice. does this mean i'm going to have to ski even faster? gad dommit!

still in limbo over the ten day/season pass issue. you might have to do some arm twisting to get me on board. i don't know if i can make the bus on time for night skiing on an average weekday.

you got yourself some new bases and new edges. It's like well-aquainted razor blades. your skis will suck you back in. i trust so. (wax 'em again please. Tuning matters.)

nights will be fast and short. get an on-hill locker at 6k yen/year, wax your boards on weekends when you take them home, leave them there midweek. Imagine those fricking weekdays your at work watching it snow all day, dreaming of saturday. (God that sucks!!!) Just take an hour early/nenkyu, and go ride highspeeds and crud for a few runs!

If I get a locker, will you just put your skis in there? Then all you're really doing is cutting drinking time down by an hour. I mean, you can still drink on the bus ride home. Be home and in bed with a ski/beer buzz by nine. Dude... WTF?? This ain't canada. It's japan/highspeeds/uniforms/psia/go around them!/

WWDD?

Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
west coast canada is having the best early season to date. resorts are already at 2m base. hmmmmmmm.
the snow better come or i'm going to get awfully cranky during the winter holidays.
Yea, that's what i'm talking about - The west coast of the US is the place to be in an El Nino. I'm heading to Cali in Feb, but in the mean time, i'm going to sacrafice another live chicken on my balcony tonight for the snow gods...chicken soup anyone?

-SJA