So I'm going to Nagano from Osaka in a few weeks time, I'm looking for some advice about driving there. I don't want to take the overnight bus because one of us is likely to be stuffed from a long flight. The train is very spendy. So I was thinking of getting a rental in Osaka, driving to Nagano station, dropping off the rental and then taking a bus to the field. It's going to cost about half as much as the train once we split the cost of car, tolls and gas. hopefully we will also be able to check out the castle in Matsumoto on the way.

So what is the expressway like from Osaka to Nagano in winter? Is it worth the hassle, and will I need to get chains as well? I have driven around Japan a lot, but have never driven in the snow, here or anywhere else.

Cheers for the help.

Quote:
Originally posted by good_gallon:
I don't want to take the overnight bus because one of us is likely to be stuffed from a long flight.
Actually that's the best time to get the bus. When you're so tired that you can sleep anywhere. Most people's problem is that they can't get to sleep, unlike Japanese people who are masters at sleeping anywhere!

How many are in your group? It sounds like quite a few if you save that much by driving.

It might sound obvious, but if there are a few of you, make sure there is room in (or on) the car for all your luggage, skis/boards, etc., or consider Takkyubin.

Always carry chains, and try and get rental with snow tyres.

fark me guys you make it sound so hard. Doing the car thing isnt that bad and just ask for snow tires on the car. Next drop off the car in matsumoto and train in to hakuba from there. Once you get out of osaka the hard part is done.

I actually looked into it further, and it was gonna cost 20,000 in drop off fees to rent a car in osaka and drop it off up north eek.gif So we are gonna take the day bus to matsumoto, check out that castle, and then train it to Nozawa. Thanks for the advice though, will come in handy next time. Lets just hope the snow comes to actually make the trip worthwhile!!!

Checking out that castle is worthwhile. Really well preserved and maintained. But I have a question for anyone who has been there in winter. When I went last Easter, we had to take off our shoes at the entrance. It was a little cold and my feet felt very numb and sore by the time I got out. So my question is: "Do they make you take off your shoes in winter too?" I wouldn't last 5 minutes without shoes in that castle.

One-way rentals are sometimes free within the same area like Kansai, but once you go long distance, the penalty goes up very quickly.

I did it once from Nagano to Gifu and the penalty was 7000 or something for a neighbouring prefecture. My folks were here, so we had seven in the van with all their gear. It was really convenient, but it wasn't cheap.