I have been skiing for only 2 times...

So I wonder that I can handle the slopes at Rusutsu or not... My friend suggested me to go to Rusutsu... I can play at the family course and then go to some easy slopes...

Sure, it will be fine. There's a total beginner area at the bottom of Mt Isola, and gentle areas on the main side when you've progressed far enough. You can get the gondola straight to the beginner's area at Isola. If you get some confidence up you can take the green cattrack run from the top of Isola, on a nice day it will give you wonderful views.

some more info would be great.

How comfortable are you getting on and off the chair?

What do you like?

What don't you like?

Can you stop on a gentle 10 degree slope?

If not, do you wear a helmet?

Do you like merry go rounds like they have at Rusutsu?

DO you intend to ski the whole time or are you planning to do other things?

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
Sure, it will be fine. There's a total beginner area at the bottom of Mt Isola, and gentle areas on the main side when you've progressed far enough. You can get the gondola straight to the beginner's area at Isola. If you get some confidence up you can take the green cattrack run from the top of Isola, on a nice day it will give you wonderful views.
I will be staying at the "North and South Wing"... so do you know how can I access to Mt. Isola?? Is is walkable from north and south wing?
 Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
some more info would be great.

How comfortable are you getting on and off the chair?
What do you like?
What don't you like?
Can you stop on a gentle 10 degree slope?
If not, do you wear a helmet?
Do you like merry go rounds like they have at Rusutsu?
DO you intend to ski the whole time or are you planning to do other things?
Hi Thursday, actually I am OK on a gentle 10 degree slope... I just wonder and am afraid my girlfriend because it will be her first time to play skiing... so I think if we stay at a beginner area then it will be fine...

Actually I am waiting for the answer from Rusutsu to tell me the starting date of the winter activities... if I can't reach it then I may spend half day to skiing and then go to Lake Toya...

I'm not sure which wing is which. You'll have to ask them. But from the main slopes there's a gondola which goes from one side of the resort to the other all at ground level. At any rate there's also gentle slopes on the main side too to get started. Isola's just a much more wide open area, that's all.

It is easy to get to the gondola from the North & South Wing. When you go out toward "West Mountain" to go to get your lift tickets, the gondola station is right there. When you unload from the gondola, you will be at the base of "East Mountain" where you can access the lifts for some of the easier runs at the resort - they are literally "right there".

Although West Mountain is closer to where you're staying, conditions are nicer on East Mountain and Isola.

FYI, the other hotel wing is the newer "Rusutsu Tower". It is nice, but you have to catch a monorail over to the North/South wing, then catch the gondola all the way back to East/Isola. Same thing goes for food, since most of the restaurants are in the North/South wing too.

If you muddle around their Japanese language website, you should be able to find the course map (none in the Engrish version of the site).

I remember having dinner at the Italian restaurant with the white piano at Rusutsu. It had a really nice view of the slopes which were lit up and we could see people doing night skiing. I was a very nice setting for a romantic evening. Highly recommended if you are going there as a couple.

\:\)

It's a great resort - I've had some really good riding days there.

Beware the animatronic bears and/or dogs from Hell...

The Tower hotel is nice, but all (?) the rooms are 2-story, so you enter and have to walk down stairs into the room. Impressive when you check in, but a pain after about the third day! And riding the oven-monorail just to get dinner or go to the conbini simply sucks.