Another Niseko bit overseas (New York Times)

I actually thought the article was well balanced overall and touched upon both the pros and cons of the area. It will be interesting to see how Niseko develops over the coming few years given the exposure it is getting abroad. I like how they said it would be the next Telluride or Val d'Isere though. It's got great snow, but terrain-wise...hmmmm confused.gif

• SnowJapan Admin

They have been and are doing a good job, but I also think that this particular subject has got a life of its own now as people pick up on the subject. Many of these articles were written after visits last season. I never actually met Ben (the guy who wrote this one), and don't know how this particular one came about in the first place, but he did visit Japan last season and we spoke a number of times and sent a fair few mails back and forth - from our point of view (SJ) trying to answer his questions and also give a fair view of Japan in general (rather than just one region). I suspect he might have wanted the article to be wider in theme but these things get edited and cut of course. Interesting article though I thought. \:\)

Last season we sent out a lot of PR for Japan winter sports in general (and Snow Japan of course), and when people contacted us either as a result of that or just contacting us because they found our about SJ, it was often a case of "we are interested in doing an article on Niseko...." often because Niseko is what they have heard about. As I have mentioned before, we often reply to them explaining that as good and worthy of coverage as Niseko is, Japan is not just Niseko and there's a lot more out there. (Seems one of my quotes on that survived).

let's see how this season turns out there. I guess this time the slopes will be much more crowded and more lift queues. Restaurants more crowded and so on as I guess the infrastructure would not have kept pace with the condo developments.

And probably a lot more loud "Yahooooo!"s during nighters.