Hey i am looking to buy some new fat twin tips and a new wide powder board and was wondering if anybody knows where to look for cheap reliale new gear in Japan...online prefered as i live in Hakuba. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

well i will fer sure check Rapie, but there have got to be some better deals out there. Like the from US or Canada, what site did ya buy em from?

I am looking at LINE, K2, or ATOMIC. Anybody know about the Line Reactor Bindings? But the dollar is pretty much equivalent to the yen nowadays so it might be better to buy in Nihon.

i got my LINES from www.evogear.com but i got someone to bring them over to japan. i shipped a pair of skis on www.steepandcheap.com which means www.backcountry.com shipping prices are the same - about $65 ?? so it could work out if you find last years model of something on sale at the right price. www.usoutdoor.com all the websites had good deals when i bought in summer, but seems like quite a lot of their old models have sold out, and they are promoting this years gear at premium price.

don't know how cheap rapie will be right now, maybe he has some of last years models? haven't been in the shop for a couple of weeks so not sure.

apparently LINE reactor bindings don't get a good write up. look on TGR forums for info maybe.

word Sarah, cheers for the info. I see that Evo Gear place all time in searches. And backcountry.com too. Thanks, i might buy in Japan last years models. they seem to be selling em off. Want to ger all set with all the gear so when the snow comes i am set to rock with a few modes to choose from ski, snowboard and tele whenver i please. Nice snow by the way today eh i guess some guys hiked Goryu and had 20cm or more on thier boards...getting soon i hope.

EBC what kinda boots would you recommend for a beginner (a very keen on at that)? I have been reading on the net about it and that you should try on the boots etc. for a while before you decide. But which ones are the best? I wont do jumps but speed is probably something I will try. I will rent the skis! I rented boots last winter as I thought it wouldnt make sense but then I went 6 times in 2.5 mths, 5 of them weekends so I am not making the same mistake again! Anyways ANY advice would be appreciated, and do not forget I started in February this year!!!

there's lots of intermediate boots around - just go try lots on and find a good bootfitter. if you do find a good bootfitter, tell me please! what to watch is probably the flex - you dont want a really hard flex (too advanced), nor a really soft one (for total beginners) - if you want to challenge yourself a bit, go for something in the middle. get something with a nice mid-flex - maybe around 80? it will be hard enough and forgiving enough at the same time. FT? do we agree? or am i talking total bollocks? i hope not. i'm really not a boot expert at all. i want some advice on boots for me. hope you have a ripping season. owning boots rather than skis is a smart move if you are going to own anything, they are much more important. then you try out some different types of skis over the season as you progress, and perhaps choose something you really know you like to buy finally.

Yea I have been told that. There is this guy in work and he is apparently really good. He has been skiing for years and by all accounts the lads in work told me he knows his stuff. He said he would help me get a pair.

Anyways, I think he will bring me to some shop to see if I can get anything. So my question is how do you know a good fitter? I think though if he recommends him/her then they are probably good.

I have been thinking about that for the last while, whether to buy boots, skis or both. As I am starting off, I will need more clothing, proper gloves, goggles etc. as I went cheapo on them in Feb as I thought I wouldnt come back to Japan. Anyways there is lots to buy as it is! Alas, I use carving skis and toward the end of the season I used 1.86m (usually 1.76m) and I couldnt control the bastards!!! I was like bambi coming down the mountain!! Please dont laugh, I am just beginning.

Any advice on wiker t-shirts, socks, salupettes etc.?? Sorry for all the questions!!!

Thanks for the advice.

well i guess if you are beginning warm gear is important. i use SMARTWOOL socks, they are sweet. are you gonna ski the whole season? like every weekend? if so, don't go too cheap on gear. and maybe buying some skis might work out cheaper than renting them every weekend, non? if you are just cruising around and finding your feet on the trails, carving skis, shorter than your height should be all good. but you could rent for a bit and see how good you get. yes, LONG is more difficult to control. LONG equals more speed. so keep em short when you are beginning. what height are you?

a good bootfitter? ask FT. he said something to me about a good bootfitter will always pull the liner out and make you stand in the boot shell alone to see how you foot fits in there, cause if it touches the shell then there's gonna be discomfort there. but you can tune boots a lot, blow out the plastic etc. and most boots have heat moldable liners these days that shape to your foot.

steeze? just go to one of your big sports shops near by and see what good deals you can get. as you are a beginner and arent after something really specific, it's hard for me to recommend something specific.

My plan is 3 out of 4 weekends with some Fridays and Mondays off. I am 182m (just touching 6Ft in imperial). I mean I could probably afford to buy or rent, that is not really the issue. I just dont wanna throw money away i.e. use the skis for 1/2 seasons and get too good for them. I dont plan to be a beginner all my life. I think though with boots they are real important.

I have fleeces etc, but I would like to get some of the quick dry stuff that sucks away all the moisture from your skin. I am not sure which ones to buy and how much they cost. I have been looking on the net but they dont really tell you what the clothes do. I know there is a nike one that footballers wear? Dunno if it would be any good though?

I have been using Capiline by Patagonia for a good base layer. It's a bit pricey but last a long time if you take care of it. I have a few pairs that are at least 10 years old. Don't fit me so my wife has been using them. I only use the shirts. On the legs i use stretch polar tec under a gore-tex shell.

Seems to work well for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by moloney:

I know there is a nike one that footballers wear? Dunno if it would be any good though?
NO. Winter underwear (first layer) looks different to summer wear. winter underwear will keep you warm and dry. summer whisk-away-sweat undershirts will keep you dry but cold. you lose all your heat.
Since you'll be going on weekends (I think) you only need 1 shirt and 1 pants which you can wear again if you do 2 days in a row. btw I used to ski with a turtleneck and trackpants under my snowpants so you don't need to get all super tech if you don't want to drop the coin.

Good brands for tech underwear are patagonia (as mentioned above - the capilene), smartwool, icebreaker and burton. I have a nearly a full week's set of burton underwear since I buy a shirt or pants in the spring/summer sales every year. I still wear the first ones I got 10 years ago! They are a great investment since you can wear them under your regular clothes at work and stay all cozy thumbsup.gif
I got a load of smartwool tops recently off steepandcheap.com for $30 us thumbsup.gif

Cool thanks for the advice. I will look around and see what is there. I just used cotton t-shirts last winter but they get wet and I was cold toward the end of the day. I dont mind investing the money just not foolishly especially if you can get it right first time.

I plan to spend a lot of time skiing this winter so it will be worth the investment methinks.