Sometimes less is more...that's my saying of the month.

Yes steeper landings are easier on the knees (and the tongue, it seems). But landing on a steep slope has one major consequence - you absolutely take-off. This can be a problem when there is a plethora of trees spaced only a few metres apart down the line.

I don't care what anyone says, riding trees is all about maintaining control - control of your speed and direction. It can also be about making critical lines. Each to their own. Personally, I don't require crazy-steep tree lines. I don't wear a helmet. I don't want to die yet...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has their own comfort zone. Im more than comfortable to drop a 10 to 30 foot drop in the trees. The bigger the better. Sking trees is about being within your own control that is right, but person to person it is different.

Stepping up to clear a pillow to 20 foot drop.

RIMG0058.jpg

yuutashitgap.jpg

Anyone of those jumps without a steep landing would hurt like heck.

that made me chuckle really. I class it a bit different than db though 35 to 45 depending on features etc is steep and above 45 is usally always no fall steep, depending on the location.

for example a 50 degree treed slope with no drops is way easier than a 40 degree slope with drop features.

Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:

I don't care what anyone says, riding trees is all about maintaining control - control of your speed and direction. It can also be about making critical lines. Each to their own. Personally, I don't require crazy-steep tree lines. I don't wear a helmet. I don't want to die yet...
If you don't wear a helmet, then there's more chance you will die sooner rather than later. All it takes is someone knocking your bonce with a board or a stray ski.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
that made me chuckle really. I class it a bit different than db though 35 to 45 depending on features etc is steep and above 45 is usally always no fall steep, depending on the location.

for example a 50 degree treed slope with no drops is way easier than a 40 degree slope with drop features.
55 requires really good conditions under your edges, no playing around either. Its actually hard to find it in quantity. I reckon the most I have had on it was 150m of vert, than backing off to 50, 48, 45, back to 50, etc with a long run out of 40 (which feels like 20 after being on 50). Even then, its hard to find sustained 50 in good conditions. 35-45 isn't really that noticeable unless its icy or very tracked out.

You are right about 40 trees with drops. Easy to do slow but really hard to do fluidly and quickly.

Trees really aren't my relative strength. I don't get much practice at them over here as the tree line is so low relative to the quality snow line. Although after some heavy falls there are seriously steep tree lines on offer in some spots. Really steep and full of granite cliffs. Often I find trees here too tight as well.
 Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
57 degrees, average 40 sustained 500m
some steeps here
lol.gif

Thursday, you are a well intentioned but uninformed (nice) clown

They are PERCENT gradients, not degrees! ;\)

Seriously, you as an individual must to question the plausibility of a numbers and your interpretation thereof before you post them. Does a resort in Korea really have a 57 degree piste? Does that smell right to you?

The formula for converting slope in % to degrees:

Degrees = 180/pi * arctan(gradient/100)

A gradient of 100% is 45 degrees.

In your hopeful example, 57% = a lazy 29 degrees.

The % gradient is an expression of the ratio of elevation change for a given horizontal distance travelled. Old fashioned rise over run.

Put this is a spreadsheet.

cell A1: =180/PI()*ATAN2(1,B1/100)

Then in cell B1: put your percent gradient. Go on, type 40 in there. The number in cell A1 is the converted slope in degrees. It should read 21.8

Yeh I should get a helmet. Ironically, I hit my head on the concrete skatepark surface 2 days ago. There was no-one around. It made a hollow clonking noise and there was a bright flash of light. Immediately, afterwards the point which I hit swelled up to the size of a golf ball and I was bleeding a lot.

The worst thing was, it was the most unco-ordinated fall over. I've never done anything so dumb. Just completely over-balanced backwards after a bomb-drop into a 4ft quarter pipe.

It could've been much worse...

Yeh everyone should stick to their limits for sure....whatever you're comfortable with. But for the record, i'm comfortable with 20-30ft drops, just not in trees that are spaced ~2m apart, like the ones i referred to earlier in the thread. That's just ridiculous.

In closing, I need a helmet.

> there was a bright flash of light.

I've seen that! It's a shocker ain't it?

Apropos of nothing in particular, when Japanese people hit their heads, they seem to get permanent build-ups of calcium where they hit, unless they take very prompt cooling action and a program of massage afterwards. This I learnt when my son has whacked his head. Doctors have lectured me very sternly for not bringing him in sooner. But I have had knocks to the skull such as he has not, and have no permanent bumps, although of course the cooling and massage was not even considered.

Quote:
there was a bright flash of light.
Yeh pretty crazy, I thought i'd found god. But I think the medical term is concussion.

I didn't go to the doctor... Only side affects i feel is slightly strained neck muscles (from my reaction trying to avoid the hitting of the head) and scrape-burns on my elbows (again, another failed attempt to avoid the cracking of the head).

But I suppose i could be in a pretty bad state if not for those evasive actions...

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, sorry.
 Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
whoops! well spotted spuds. Didn't notice the % sign. I saw "for experts only" so I thought must be steep.

Apologies for the gaff.
no probs, it was fun \:\)

ps - my new signature isn't aimed at you personally.

Wow a cnverted that didnt take long.

if you ever wack your head that hard it is better to get it checked. a guy on TGR forums wacked his head, hard with a helmut on, after a few weeks maybe 4 plus of headaches he asked friends. What should i do guys i still have headaches? went to the doctor and found out he was bleeding in his brain and that the presure was building. Emergency brain surgery awas done and now he is fine. If you wack it really hard and you see white lights, black out, gat a huge lump and bleed in my book you go and get it checked. You can searchj that story at TGR.

Thursday dont worry you are trying but we are a bit more informed than you about what is and isnt steep. I sugjest that you start topo map studies and this will help you to understand what is and isnt steep.

2 to 3 meter gaps in the trees are huge ill drop 30 plus if i can see a hole in there.

I guess the purpose of putting slopes in % is so that drvers can translate it easier.

You see a 1/10 and thats 10% slope. Once went up a 1/3. I think that's the steepest a normal saloon car could do with out total loss of traction.

% gradient is crap for a few reasons:

1. It isn't a natural way for the mind to visualise a slope, eg, "for every horizontal unit of travel the slope goes down 36% as much". It isn't intuitive.

2. What happens with slopes greater than 45 degrees? Please try and visualise in your mind how steep a slope is which is marked 119%. You can't, can you. You know its over 45 degrees, and that's about it.

Quote:
2 to 3 meter gaps in the trees are huge ill drop 30 plus if i can see a hole in there.
I'll re-iterate : that's just ridiculous!

eek.gif

I suppose it depends on snow and gradient conditions as well...bringing us back to the essence of this thread! 360'

I suck in the deep, I can handle the steep, little bo peep.