I`ve only boarded in Japan. Compared to other places (Canada, US, Europe, New Zealand, Australia, Korea...) how is it here in comparison. Price, snow, mountain size,facilities, lifts, lift speeds, etc. etc, ...

Thank you \:\)

$aus lift ticket Perisher blue or thredbo 80/day

$cad lift ticket Red Mnt 48/day

$cad whistler 61/day

Europes too far and too dear

US dunno, need the dollar to fall more \:D

the mountains Canada vs Aus ... well as Jules said :

ain't the same ballpark, ain't the same league, ain't even the same **** sport!

Red is steep and fresh. whistler is big.

I'll let you know about Japan in 4 weeks time ;\)

On a cost basis though it seems surprisingly cheap...ast least accom and lifts and flights

Coming from Colorado and only skiied in Tohoku so far, doesn't compare...it's not bad but pricey (not to say that Colorado is cheap but at least you get your money's worth terrain and snow wise), small mountains, loud crappy music blaring all over the place, slow lifts, tons of people. But ramen is great for lunch, the snow is voluminous if not a bit wet, and there are resorst everywhere. But nothing so far has been a bit challenging...I feel I'm regressing as a skier but I'm headed to Hokkaido next month so it should be a bit better. Then there's the backcountry and I'm just not qualified to talk about it here in Japan as I haven't really been out too much but I know there's some nice places around if you can find them and have the partners to go with. I don't....

Japan's resorts are small even the larger one, but you only need 1 good lift to enjoy yourself (although I am still looking)

As for challenging terrain. Didn't find too much challenging terrain in the USA either, haven't tried Canada yet. There is nothing like Cham around here, but regressing??!? To me that hasn't much to do with steeps or challenging terrain. It can make you sit longer in the restaurant during lunch because you don't want to do the same over and over again. Lacking the real challenging terrain should able you to bring your technique to another level and then wait until you can go off to another place.

I find it comparable to New Zealand (resorts not the clubfields) in size and challenge.

To me the best thing about Japan is the snow. It is deep (maybe a bit heavy) and the scenery seems like it comes straight out of fairytails. Great for photos.

The price for a skipass is ok, but the costs for lodging and transportation really adds up. In Europe you can get a basic apartment for a week (shared with 3 others) plus a 6 day skipass for an area twice the size of Whistler for less than 20,000yen.