Suggestion of two good resorts in Japan for snowboarders

Thanks! Guys.

I randomly picked Ishiuchi in last season. It was not bad. Since there are so many and many ski resorts in Japan. I'm not sure which is better for snowboarding. I just went to Queenstown last month. Remarkables and Coronet Peak are the classic examples. Remarkables is extremely not good for snowboarders. Some friends say Naeba, Rusutsu, Niesko, etc. Really no idea going to which. Personally, I like to spend few days for freeride and few days at terrain parks.

I think you should be thinking areas not just resorts. But here's some names to start with

Hokkaido:

Niseko

Furano

Nagano:

Hakuba

Nozawa Onsen

Shiga Kogen

Niigata:

Myoko

Yuzawa

Gunma:

Katashina, Minakami

Quote:
Originally posted by Hokkaidough:
I think you should be thinking areas not just resorts. But here's some names to start with

Hokkaido:
Niseko
Furano

Nagano:
Hakuba
Nozawa Onsen
Shiga Kogen

Niigata:
Myoko
Yuzawa

Gunma:
Katashina, Minakami
Thanks! Yes, Hokkaido is one my favor. thumbsup.gif Planning to go either Niseko or Rusutsu in March 07. But no idea where to go in early January hence I got the redeemed tickets to TYO on 5JAN. First of all, to replenish my snowboard supplies in Tokyo on first day and spend one week in ski resorts. Is there any resort like Niseko United? Therefore, I can try different resorts during the week.

You might want to consider the following:

Use Niseko as a base for one trip - regular terrain is big enough to spend a 4-5 days exploring and then you can do a couple of day trips Rutsutsu and even do some back country tours around Niseko.

Use Hakuba as your base for the other trip - heaps of resorts so you're bound to find something that suits and back country tours and guides are available. If you get tired of Hakuba it would be pretty easy to shoot (via Nagano)over to Nozawa or Myoko.

Yuzawa has lots of resorts and Kagura is a great place to spend a couple of days, but the resorts around Yuzawa are probably smaller than the Hakuba resorts and might not offer quite the same entertainment value for longer than a couple of days.

Quote:
Planning to go either Niseko or Rusutsu in March 07. But no idea where to go in early January
If you're going to Hokkaido and another place, I'd do Hokkaido first, in early Jan for the snow... then further south (Nagano) in March.

(I know it could happen anywhere but I'm still pissed at having to ski on crud in Hakuba over New Years a while back. I don't live in ski country so my ski vacations are really precious).