ooo, this looks like fun.

The flour-and-water author obviously doesn't have a grasp on reality:

Quote:
...while Niseko is slanted towards intermediate or advanced runs....
Nor any appreciation of snow, the terrain on which it lays or the rules imposed by resorts in different parts of the world:

Quote:
The experience of riding a lift up and sliding back down is much the same anywhere in the world, regardless of whether the white stuff is on a Canadian, Italian or Japanese slope
At least he spoke some truth, but forgot to mention the one little detail. I took the liberty of editing the quote for accuracy:

Quote:
[gay] Australians who really want to feel at home in Japan choose Niseko in Hokkaido

haha yeh I read the article on the weekend. To be honest, I was glad to see a travel article involving Japan! But needless to say, I was resoundingly disappointed when I actually read it.

Some of the positives of the article are that it can be understood by anybody, it gives a basic broad coverage of the popular japanese ski areas and it briefly mentions some of the amazing and under-rated cultural attractions of Japan.

Now, what it doesn't do: It doesn't NEARLY do justice to the place.It seems as though the author hasn't actually been to japan, but rather he has read a few brochures on the various ski areas and is regurgitating a few sentences he came across.

The reason for this poor piece of travel writing is because the audience are Australians - a population which is generally ignorant to mountain resorts/skiing/boarding. Therefore it barely scrapes the surface.

I find the Australians here very well versed in travel. They made it this far, so they must have travelled the long way round.

I find this really fascinating; why are so may Australians left handed? They began as a penal colony, but are now a major force in the world of sports.

No surprise that you met a remarkable amount of Australians well versed in travel outside of Australia as indeed, they are... travelling. It would be an understatement to say your sample is not representative of the typical Australian who, whilst being trustworthy and down to earth people, are not well versed in what the world has to offer (3 months in London doesn't count). I am pretty much agreeing with Snosurf: true descriptive detail of Japan's frozen bounty is not needed for the average Oz, and that includes me 5 years ago. In fact, it would blow the minds of the vast majority of Australian snow holiday makers if they had a good week in Nozawa: they simply would never have seen snow like it before in their lives. I certainly bloody well hadn't and still clearly remember my first powder experience in Hakkouda. Never before or after seen anything like it in Australia or Europe. Not unlike when I first saw the mountains in Chamonix: way more than I needed or even thought existed. I have literally seen a big-talking Australian skier jump out of a helicopter and side slip down the nice entry line to a bowl. We were waiting for them to clear the area so we could drop in and whilst waiting I quietly commented to my buddy on this appalling side slipping on powder. The sharp eared Aussie yelled back up the short couloir, quote: "we are side slipping because we don't want to die!". All I said was "why are they side slipping?". Bloody drama queen ;\)

That became totally off topic but was better than working.

Fatts - I admit we were using the same heli as they were. I was a ring-in for a lucky freebie day with a guide and his girlfriend and his buddy from school. Whilst waiting for the heli, the camo skipant wearing Aussie had something to say about everything and later in the day the girl commented "that Aussie had a lot to say for himself, but lost his wind pretty fast on the entry line". Of course, anyone is perfectly entitled to take any line the way they feel comfortable, just don't rock up at the heli pad firing your mouth off like a 'been there, done that' local.

Thursday - I don't know any left handed Australian's. Mind you, I don't know who is left or right handed in the first place. Its not something I notice.

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
I find this really fascinating; why are so may Australians left handed? They began as a penal colony, but are now a major force in the world of sports.
If being born there, and having an Australian passport qualifies me, then here goes.

It's the way your brain is wired. My big brother was beaten by the nuns at his primary school for "being in league with the devil" (writing with his left hand). He was beaten at home too, but he still writes with his left. I had plenty of beatings too, but not for being left handed. Maybe we are just sinister?