Quote:
Originally posted by phool:
Bah to the chart above. Height - 10cm on parabolics. increase lenght for speed.
 Quote:
Originally posted by WantToSki:
hhhmmm.... yes, makes real sense...

thanks!!!
I have a light hearted bee in my thing over this one. Questions are asked and answers given are backed up with substance and still people go ahead and pick the answer that they like the sound of the best. Emotions are strange things.

Well, pick my nose with a car key, here is yet another example of rider weight, terrain and ability being used to determine appropriate ski length without even mentioning riders height. And significantly, it is the recommended method by Salomon and used by the guys at backcountry.com

http://www.backcountry.com/store/sizingchart.html?sizing_id=247
  • 3 weeks later...

That is interesting, never heard of that one before. For fun I went into a few shops today and asked. Each shop gave me a different answer. They did not have much of a clue I reckon. Most people will listen to these guys... scary.

Quote:
Originally posted by keba:
The "rules" are OK for those who already ski, for a beginner, the shorter, the easier. And rent, don't buy. And stay out of the powder, at least for the first couple of days...
I've seen instructors who like to start beginners off with short skis and some who insist they start with normal length skis. There must be some pros and cons to both, but if shorts skis are chosen, definitely keep off the powder!