Okay, so falling down hurts a bit more than on the snow, you tend to get very, very dirty and the skiing isn't what I would call top-notch. However, this place is a great way to stay in ski shape during the no-snow months providing turns akin to skiing in the wettest, heaviest snow imagineable.

Many moons ago I did some dune skiing in Oregon and thought of it as purely novelty. Fun, but not something I'd be doing all of the time. Little did I know that 14 years later I'd move to a place where there existed the largest dune in all of Europe complete with a lift to the top.

I 'discovered' Mt. Kaolino in Hirschau, Germany this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. It's approximately a 30 minute drive from my place and is relatively inexpensive to experience (8 Euros for one hour of lift rides AND board/ski/boots rental). Getting used to skiing in the silica-rich sand didn't take long - about 1/2 a run and a bit of elbow blood were all that were needed to get used to making quick and decisive turns.

I plan on going back many times over the next couple of months. I can't think of a better way to get my legs in shape for the upcoming snow season. Between a couple of gnarly mt bike rides and the skiing this past weekend, my legs are wasted on this fine Monday morning \:D

On hot days (like Saturday) they water the dune with sprinklers to keep the dust down and the sand somewhat 'fast'. The 'lift' is in the bottom right corner.

SandSkiing2.jpg

Some obstacles I'd like to try out one of these days (closed this past weekend unfortunately).

SandSkiing3.jpg

A dual slalom course was set up which some of the more experienced people were ripping up.

SandSkiing4.jpg

Link to an article I found on the place: http://www.peruboarding.com/Sandboarding/Germany/germany.html

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
That looks like a bit of fun. What was the temperatures when you were there and what altitude is that at?
It was somewhere between 26 and 28 and not a cloud in the sky. 'Bout time too - this has been one crappy August for weather over here.

I'm not sure how high the thing is. I plan on taking my gps next week to find out. I'll also get some pics from the top as it is steeper than these pictures indicate. It's probably around 28 or 30 degrees (angle of repose of sand).

28 degrees! That sounds like some real sweaty action. It's good that rentals are included in the package you mentioned which sounds like great value for money, but I bet the sand will tear up the skis/boards quite soon.

That looks like fun..... I used to do a bit of sandboarding at the beach here. All I remember is that it was nothing like snowboarding. You have far less control, in fact i'd go as far as saying you are completely out of control!

However this looks different, as long as you are on a real snowboard or skiis I suppose it must have definite similarities to sliding around on snow....

Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:
That looks like fun..... I used to do a bit of sandboarding at the beach here. All I remember is that it was nothing like snowboarding. You have far less control, in fact i'd go as far as saying you are completely out of control!
However this looks different, as long as you are on a real snowboard or skiis I suppose it must have definite similarities to sliding around on snow....
You pretty much have total control once you figure out the right way to distribute your weight over the skis or board. The hardest thing to get used to was using the short skis that they had as rentals. The longest they had were 150's and I usually ski on 185's to 192's.

As Markie alluded to, the sand is very tough on the bases of the skis/board. I won't be taking any of my personal sets of skis there anytime soon! However, I am going to use my own backup pair of boots next time. The ones they had as rentals absolutely sucked and were quite disgusting.

le spud - You were looking for a good way to get your legs in shape? C'mon down! What, it's only about an 8 hour roundtrip for you :p \:D
 Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
I will be renting a car some time in the next 2 months and exploring down around Munich for a weekend, so I'll let you know. Hopefully it will have cooled down by then. cheers
Are you planning on hitting up Oktoberfest? I'm going to be there with some friends from the States on Sept 20th and 21st.

Let me know when you do head down this way. Munich is a very easy 2.5 hour train ride and an even shorter drive. I'm a little tentative to drive the Jeep on the Autobahn for that distance, however. It would be great to hookup for a beer in Munich. I've gotten to know the city quite well in the past few months and really enjoy it down there.

I'll PM you my handy number as the time gets closer.

Are you planning on doing much skiing/boarding in the German/Austrian area this winter? I can probably get you in on some very cheap package deals. I'll send you the details once the trips are published in a month or two.

A bummer but I am not sure if I will make Oktober Fest, but I will let you know when I am heading down. Thanks for your details.

I was planning a day in Munich and a day hiking in the mountains, or perhaps two in the mountains. Did you bring your Jeep from Alaska?? The autobahn is ok, you can go easy on the engine in the outside lane. I am yet to get over 200kph. The small engine rental cars I get cant quite manage it. But I did get a 9 seater diesel Mercedes van up to 180 or so and managed to stay above 160 for 1 hour. Mind you, I had to do some split-call passing to keep the speedo above the threshold. I threaded the needle a few times, coming out the other side with a pretty tight-fisted grip on the wheel eek.gif

I will definitely visit Austria this season, but at this stage it is unlikely to be my main area. It all comes down to where my girl gets a job next year.

Oktoberfest should be interesting. I'm actually glad that I'll be going during the week instead of on a weekend. I've been to a couple of Volksfests in the area already and they can get quite crazy! I'm sure the craziness is a few magnitudes higher at Oktoberfest. I've heard some wild stories.....

I still have not made it in to the Alps since I've been here. I really, really need to get down there before the snow starts flying to do some biking and hiking. I've just been too damn busy with the move and entertaining visitors. Things should quiet down after this last round of friends comes out in 3 weeks.

A co-worker and I drove back from Munich 3 weeks ago on A-9 and were consistently doing over 200 kmh. He has one of those new-fangled Mustangs that hauls ass. It also helps that the A-9 runs through the backwoods of Germany so traffic really isn't that bad. Over by Frankfurt.... fugetaboudit! I could only manage 130 in my Jeep last weekend - whoopee! \:D Yeah, because I only had a months notice from the company to move they let me ship the Jeep over. It's slow but I love having my own vehicle over here!

Okay, back on topic (what the hell, eh?) - I'm going to hit up the dune again tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics from the top this time. I'm actually looking forward to sliding on the sand again - and the complimentary leg burn that will no doubt come with it! Is it winter yet? I'm jonesing over here...... \:D

Plucky, from the Alaskan wilderness to the german silica dunes (very interesting, had never heard of it before)! Quite a change. Sounds like you are enjoying it. Hope you and Spud get some good conditions in the alps this winter.