Learn some basic Japanese, Organise your self a k van, buy it ,buy a map, pack the k with all your important gear eg: snow/surf board, music and hit the road, of course you gonna need some money to do this. Japan is a great place with many friendly people, you will find somewhere that you love. Good luck!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wes is that you?

There are certain jobs that are harder to get than others. some eikaiwas are great my first one was till it changed. good pay, good hours etc then my bosses changed and things went to crap.

Yeah it sounds like it is a little hit and miss with the schools. I am thinking my best approach is to get a job in the best school I can before I arrive, and then see how it goes. Seems like there are plenty of opportunities once I am actually in the country and have some experience.

another thing u can look for is working hours.

I managed to get a job that usually started in the afternoon around sapporo, so I was able to go boarding most days b4 work. Had alot of trouble staying awake whilst teaching, but it was worth it imho.

Boarding everyday before work sounds appealing, but I am not sure I would be able to teach for the rest of the day.

Looking at a job with ECC at the moment - they reckon you get 7 weeks holidays a year - this seems pretty high ?

Cheers FT re: ECC.

Had an interview with AEON yesterday, find out in 2 weeks whether I was successful. Requested a position in northern Honshu (Yamagata in particular). Will wait and see.

Don't be put off by Fattwins. Yamagata gets plenty of snow. We had 14 metres as daily accumulation and over 2 metres of compressed snow pack by the end of last winter.

soubriquet_100.jpg

It starts snowing some time in December, and it stops in late Feb/early March. During that period, If you can't see the mountains it's snowing, and if you can see them, it's going to snow.

(Edit. Same photo, but I've airbushe out the powerlines)

Quote:
Originally posted by danharman:
yeah i agree, but having been boarding in aus the last few seasons i am thinking i will not be disappointed wherever i end up! i mean we have an 8cm base at the moment !!
ahh yes, but your forgetting that conditions are great, with an excellent 2cm top-up of man-made snow in some areas..... lol.gif

actually, heres an excerpt from my favourite resort, Mt Selwyn (my brother was actually the poster boy for them a few years back)
------------------------
24hr Snowfall
0 cm

Snowdepth - Average
15 cm

The cover is in great shape following cold overnight temperatures, and looks set to stay that way throughout the day.

oh, and thats not all!!
"Township is open to the very top, and New Chum Bowl is 60% full of man made snow. The Ski School rope tow is in great shape for first timers, and the Toboggan Park is open. "

awesome!!!! confused.gif

He he, exactly what i am talking about rezinate! i subscribe to the daily alerts from hotham and every day this winter the report headlines "Snowguns have been running all night". Having said that, it is good to get out there (and it is snowing as i write this).

Yamagata sounds great !