A last minute decision to go out and ski in Hakuba (due to a cancelled Niigata trip - the road we want to use is not open yet) led myself, Tim and Mike to go for an explore up Hakuba Norikura dake. None of us having never hiked up here before, we were slightly unsure of the best route up Norikura - i've watched people do it, so my instinct was to head to the right and up Tengu Para... after some discussion however, we ended up going practially straight up the face. We left a bit too late and the sun had affected the snow - towards the top as it got steeper an icy layer on the surface became evident in places, some of which kept on sliding below me - i had to spend a bit of time finding the right place to make my next step without sliding down the slope. The ride down, however was pretty sweet - good fun and a total leg burner after the hike, trying to avoid cracks in the snow. Overall it was a fun day out - next time would leave much earlier and spend more time route finding.

It was a bit of a rush back down to make the gondola, so i don't have any decent pictures unfortuanately (no ski shots) - but here are a few just to show you how much snow there is at the top of Tsugaike. Still plenty of skiing to be done this year!

Tim (boarder) and Mike (Telemarker) walking through the wall of snow at Tsugaike, above the ropeway

eskimobasecamp_97.jpg

Me at Tsugaike, above the ropeway

eskimobasecamp_98.jpg

... and in colour ;\) love editing on iphoto ;\)

eskimobasecamp_96.jpg

The view of Hakuba Yari and Shiyakushi from Tengu Para, below Norikura dake yesterday

eskimobasecamp_99.jpg

So not very many exciting pictures - even my Tateyama camp ones are better than this haha - but anyway..... next time! Bit of a slightly unplanned trip, just some late spring snow skiing in Hakuba on a perfect day.

It's always fun to get up Norikura

Too bad you didn't get anymore pictures

Your car was parked right next to mine at the bottom there so I knew you were up there. Just didn't know who with

Amazing how much snow is on that road still. Hasn't melted much at all since they plowed it just before Golden Week.

cb - LOL you are on form today eh ;\)

didn't fall into any creeks there... i like tsugaike a lot - the park boys are hot haha and it's a long gondola ride

as for norikura, i fell into something there - but it wasn't a creek... more like a crack... in the snow, to be precise

i'll always be eskimobasecamp haha or BCS as markie likes to call me thumbsup.gif

By "straight up the face", do you mean you cut across the north edge of the Shizen'en and then climbed up the two steps of the face? Something like the line in Toques journal from a month ago?

If its any consolation, the Tengupara - Norikura part is more difficult when the snow goes. The path goes up a narrow stream and then meanders through a large boulder field. It's perfectly smooth in winter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
By "straight up the face", do you mean you cut across the north edge of the Shizen'en and then climbed up the two steps of the face? Something like the line in Toques journal from a month ago?

If its any consolation, the Tengupara - Norikura part is more difficult when the snow goes. The path goes up a narrow stream and then meanders through a large boulder field. It's perfectly smooth in winter.
In the picture it looks like they walked the road from the top gondola so would have already missed the normal ski/snowshoe route up the mountain

It took us forever to get to the lake on the weekend. Map time is 3 hours which in winter is crazy. Winter you can be at the lake in 90 minutes easy
Summer the 3 hours wouldn't be that far off.

yo people - yeh we walked up the road from the top gondola (therein lies the mistake) - found ourselves out by the tourist viewing spots near that big meadow below norikura and korenge. i somehow knew we should have been way over the other side, but didn't know how to get there... so up we went, straight up!

a few more pictures that mike sent me...

all 3 of us beside the huge walls of snow at the top of tsugaike ropeway

eskimobasecamp_100.jpg

tim and i on our way up norikura

eskimobasecamp_101.jpg

the view over to korenge and shiroumadake from norikura

eskimobasecamp_102.jpg

you guys were well over to the left.

mr wiggles i should be here all weekend if you want to get together to have a drink. WOuld love to see how big Nene is now.

EBC if the weather holds saturday or sunday and you want to climb we can do it. but we leave early if we go.