The website says it'll still be open, but what can I expect as far as snow quality? I don't have a specific resort in mind, just any one of the Hakuba resorts will do (feel free to recommend me the one that can be expected to be the best for that time of year).

Also I'd be staying overnight, so are the prices for lodging going to be higher because of the holiday?

Any advice on planning this trip would be appreciated. Thanks.

In terms of resorts you're probably down to seeing what is still open - guess it'll be a choice of 47/goryu or happo... if they manage to last that long.

The snow will suck. You may even find yourself having to catch lifts to get down due to lack of coverage - you can definitely count on the resorts not being fully open; a lot of them are already partially closing with the rain - check the Hakuba Now! page for details.

Prices depend on where you stay - packages might be a bit pricier than now, but probably less than peak, but you also might find the odd "deal". Backpackers will be the same.

Advice? don't wait til golden week!

The snow will not suck. If it's clear the night before get there just as it's thawing and it will be great.

It will not be powder but you know it is May

Tsugaike will also be open and they have a park up high that looks pretty good.

There is a load of snow at the higher elevations of the resorts. They will make it through Golden Week for sure.

Advice? Don't take advice from people that think that powder is the only type of fun snow ;\)

from mid to the top will be open and 47 might even try to keep its bottom run open. it will be nice snow if you time it right. figure 9 to 2:30 will be best.

We still have over 4meters compacted at mid.