I'll be in Sapporo from this Friday for a week or two. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be busy on the weekends, but I'll probably be catching the bus to Sapporo Kokusai, Kiroro, or Teine during the week for some riding time. I'm really not sure how open my schedule is going to be yet, but if you've got some free time and want to go boarding, let me know.

Yikes! Sounds like a personal ad...

Hi

My names Bob

I'm 36, single and white.

I like long ski tours in the alpine and forests. I get turned on by fat skis, touring bindings and Arcteryx outerwear. Hobbies include backcountry and resort skiing with small dabbles in Ski Mountaineering in the spring/summer

I'm looking for a ski partner either male of female to bond with and take it to the next level

;\)

We'll see! If I manage to get my sorry @$$ out from under the futon to get the first bus to Kokusai and ride until last lift, then I'll probably be in no shape to go out carousing into the night. Perhaps after a non-snow day. I get into Sapporo pretty early on Friday night... Hmmm... confused.gif

Okay, been away from the internet for a while...

It was nice and cold when I got into Sapporo on Friday the 17th, but it has been getting steadily warmer - "spring conditions". Went to Sahoro Resort on Sunday and Monday. Sunday was below zero, but Monday was very warm and sunny. Today is warm again, so I`m going to take a day off in hopes that things will improve (deteriorate, in the case of non-snow-loving persons!) in the next few days... who am I kidding! I`ll probably be off to Kiroro or Sapporo Kokusai tomorrow!

It`s been warm in Sapporo and the snow/ice on the roads is pretty much melting away and the snow/ice crap on the sidewalks is turning into that slushy mess that is like walking on sand. Temperatures are still dropping below zero at night, because the wet crosswalk that I passed on the way to dinner had iced over on the way home.

Sofar no. Was deciding on dinner on Saturday and almost went with Ramen because I wasn`t all that hungry, but went to some nouvelle-washoku place in the JR Stellar Place mall. Maybe lunch today... there`s a small place (I don`t recall the name) up the street from where I am in Hassamu that has really good tonkotsu ramen.

Teine was good Monday - well as good as ive had since being in Japan... (rain in hakuba, sun and +5deg in sapporo)

Sapporo Kokusai Tuesday was a good mountain, however anything that got sun was heavy mush.

still a few nice spots of pow hiddden around the place.

Lets see if the crap weather follows me to niseko tomorrow.

It`s kumori this morning, and there is an expected snowfall tonight or tomorrow morning. The weather forecast still called for +5 to +8c in town today, and Kokusai was supposed to be hovering around zero between the base and mountaintop. I guess I`ll take another day off and head in to shitamachi around lunchtime. A lot of stores were closed yesterday - was it some National Day that I don`t know about? Sapporo Sports, that little sports shop one block down from Tanuki-koji, and even the Pivot building shops were shuttered. WTF! mad.gif

I stayed a weekend in Otaru last December... It seems that once every few years is enough, although I might be passing through at dinner time if I decide to go and ride at Kiroro in hte next few days... confused.gif

Back from Sapporo yesterday morning.

Rode Sapporo Kokusai on the 23rd. It had snowed about 5cm overnight, but they had groomed over it in most places. Didn't duck any ropes, but did traverse very far off the groomers after the ropes into the trees - it was still nice and soft in there. Other than the schoolkids, it was deserted.

Rode Kiroro on the 24th. Again, there was a good deposit of overnight fluff, maybe up to 10cm in places, but it was all laid down over very hard ice. Riding straight was really nice, but the moment you turned and your edges sank down to the hard substrata, it all went to heck. I thought maybe it was just the groomers, but it was fluff over concrete in the trees too. I'm guessing that it got a bit warmer in Kiroro during the warm period earlier in the week than it had gotten at Kokusai. Bottom to top, it was pretty much the same. Fairly crowded - lots of schoolkids and package tour groups.

Rode Rusutsu on the 25th. Couldn't really tell if there was any significant new accumulation overnight, because I got in really late because of a traffic accident near Jouzankei onsen. It was sunny and warm, so anything new was either tracked out or settled. I went straight over to Mt. Isola. The lower parts of the runs were hard and icy, but the summmit area down to the midpoint were fine. As crowded as it was and as late as I arrived, I still managed to find my little piece of happiness.

Sunday the 26th. was rainy and windy as heck, so I just went to onsen and gave the legs a rest.