Shiga Kogen website: "boarders must carry skis" - seriously?

I'm a boarder, joining some skier friends on a trip to Shiga Kogen next week. I heard that the resorts there aren't 100% open to snowboarders, so I checked out their website and found the following bizarre text:

"Snowboarders need to carry skis until mid April when the Shiga-Kusatu Route will be open."

See for yourself: http://shigakogen.gr.jp/english/snow/ski.html

I can't seriously believe this is meant to be taken literally... does anyone have any ideas? Do they mean, I'll need skis *if* I want to transit the entire area, or something?

I just want to turn up and board a bit - someone tell me it's possible?

(First post, btw - be gentle)

• SnowJapan Moderator

Hi there

That is a little confusing.

Basically the Yokoteyama part of Shiga Kogen is skiers-only.

Behind Yokoteyama is an area called Shibutoge - and the only way to get to Shibutoge (until late spring) is via Yokoteyama... because of all of the snow that blocks the road off up there.

Shibutoge allows snowboarders.

So what I think they are meaning is that if you want to snowboard at Shibutoge when that road is blocked off, you'll have to carry your board up there. Not many people do that, which is why you will see Shibutoge saying they get 99% skiers.

When spring arrives and the road opens up again, you can drive up to Shibutoge (from either Shiga Kogen or Kusatsu) and snowboard there.

It's worth pointing out that Shibutoge is only a small area, so it's no real loss (though the views from the top are incredible on a fine day). You will have plenty of runs to choose from, no need to worry.

Hope that makes some sense!

You should have a great time there. We took some a lot of photos this last week:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo.php?userid=ShigaKogenNow

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I think actually know that road from Kusatsu; my rental car navi system tried to take me through it one January. We got a couple of miles up into the hills only to be confronted with the road disappearing under a piste, and families happily skiing right past our front bumper.

Thanks for the info; glad to hear I won't have to learn to ski over the next five days... \:\)

• SnowJapan Moderator
 Quote:
We got a couple of miles up into the hills only to be confronted with the road disappearing under a piste, and families happily skiing right past our front bumper.
That's the one! A nice drive from late April until November.....

Hope you enjoy it, remember to take some pics now! ;\)

Heh, you weren't kidding... 99% skiers! Think I'll be giving that one a miss, then.

Seems like a massive area, though, so I'll do some research on the other resorts in the vicinity. I don't know exactly where we're staying yet, but as I understand it it's quite easy to get around.

Thanks again.

• SnowJapan Moderator

It is a very big area and apart from Kumanoyu/Yokoteyama/Shibutoge it's all connected. But those 3 are all skiers-only so you won't be minding about that. The resort at the other extreme, Okushiga Kogen, is also skiers-only.

That still leaves a very big area for you to enjoy though!

Yes, SJ4 is right. Kumanoyu area is a separate one (skiers only) to whole Shiga Kogen resort, the right side of the picture map.

http://shigakogen.gr.jp/english/snow/ski.html

The Japanse page reads;

1. For Kidoike, *Snowboarding is restricted when the ski run is being used for the school excursion program.

2. For Shibutoge, *Snowboarders need to carry skis until mid April when the Shiga-Kusatu Route will be open.

The English page must need the corrections.

From what Ive heard Shiga is just old, old, old,old,old,old school skiers. Like ice-age old...

There is an area across from Kumanoyu where boarders can go. Is that one of the names thats already listed above? I saw all the boarders in the powder and all the skiers on that one run lol.gif

Shiga's a nice big mountain, I've only been there one day at a time, but would like to spend several days there to go check out all the different areas and runs. You still get a very big resort excluding the ski-only runs.