Record snowfalls causing massive problems - 60 dead

From the Yomiuri

Quote:
Heavy snowfalls continued to hit Sea of Japan coastal regions and other areas Saturday, as the extreme weather, which has killed 60 people and injured 1,180 since the snow season started last month, continued Saturday.

The Meteorological Agency said a cold airstream moved in over the Sanin region in western Japan, causing heavy snowfall Saturday.

The cold air mass of minus 40 C was expected to move across northern Japan through Sunday, and the agency warned of heavy snows in Sea of Japan coastal areas from western to northern Japan.

The agency warned the possibility of avalanches would increase due to fresh snow falling on already compacted snow.

According to the agency, an airstream of minus 37 C had pushed across Yonago, Tottori Prefecture, as of 9 p.m. Friday.

It expected a maximum of 80 centimeters of snow to fall in Niigata Prefecture during the 24 hours to 6 a.m. Sunday, and 60 to 70 centimeters in Nagano Prefecture and Hokkaido. Snowfalls of up to 50 centimeters during the 24-hour period were expected on the Sea of Japan side of the Tohoku region, northern Kinki region, Hokuriku region, Gunma Prefecture and Gifu Prefecture.

Responding to a request from the Nagano prefectural government, the Ground Self-Defense Force dispatched 113 personnel from its infantry regiment based in Matsumoto in the prefecture to Iiyama on Saturday to help with snow removal in the city.

A GSDF disaster relief unit also was sent to Tokamachi and Tsunanmachi, both in Niigata Prefecture, at the request of the prefectural government.

This is the first time SDF personnel have been mobilized for disaster-relief efforts this snow season.

On the Joetsu Shinkansen Line, all services were temporarily suspended Saturday morning because a maintenance train being used to clear snow from the line stalled at Echigo-Yuzawa Station in Yuzawamachi, Niigata Prefecture. The incident affected about 60,000 people.

Many municipalities have reported heavy accumulations of snow since the season began. Tsunanmachi, Niigata Prefecture, saw 358 centimeters of snowfall and Myoko in the prefecture saw 319 centimeters as of 9 p.m. Saturday. Nozawaonsenmura, Nagano Prefecture, saw 307 centimeters. Aomori Prefecture's mountain region recorded 313 centimeters.

According to the Cabinet Office, 537 houses have been destroyed or damaged due to the weight of snow.

Fresh snow weighs about 100 kilograms per one cubic meter, but it compacts over time, which means its weight can increase to more than 300 kilograms per cubic meter.

Construction and Transport Ministry officials said a 200-kilogram per cubic meter snow-weight load is used for calculating values when designing a building. This means that a 50-square-meter roof is only designed to bear a load of about 20 tons, necessitating regular removal of snow.

(Jan. 8, 2006)

Impressive. Back home the roofs are heavily slanted so that you do not have to climb on top of your house to remove the snow. I noticed that many buildings in snowy parts of Japan have flatish roofs, a bit surprising.

• SnowJapan Admin

The huge amount of snow is causing a lot of problems here... a house in my road has collapsed under the snow and there is over 4.5 metres of snow piled up behind where I live.

The snow has been so continuous that lots of the sprinklers in the roads / on house roofs etc are not working as the water that is used has run out - so that is making things much worse as the snow is not being made into slush as it usually is.

Resorts are also having problems - as well as not being prepared for all this snow and almost always playing catch-up and having to deal with it all, many people are just not turning up to ride the snow.

So most people are actually hoping for a week or so of clear weather!

• SnowJapan Admin

Quite a lot of roofs are heavily slanted here SerreChe, but quite a few of those that aren't either have sprinklers up there that get rid of the snow before it piles up (like mine), or heated roofs.

(One problem right now is that many of those sprinklers are not working - run out of water -and so there is some serious snow piling up on some houses.)

Woaw, I did not realize that those handy dandy sprinklers were on top of houses as well, not to mention about the heated roofs. I really like how the Japanese people have all these great ideas that make life so much easier.

Too bad the sprinklers ran out of water, it kind of defeats the purpose. Did the house that collapsed have any of these systems? Hope the people inside were ok.

Looks like the good-old fashioned slanted roofs are still quite efficient, especially when modern technology fails.

4.5 meters, quite a pile-up. I think pictures are required at this stage! ;\)

• SnowJapan Admin

The house that collapsed was old and made of wood - no-one inside luckily. Problem is that there is so much clearing to do almost everywhere you look that some things inevitably get left out.

I'll try and take some pictures - been pretty busy moving snow myself for what seems like many hours a day.

Too bad. Heard many elderly people cannot clear all the snow end end-up with their house collapsing, very sad.

Sounds like living in an appartment with no snow clearing required must be appreciated in those times.

Gambarre SJ1 !

• SnowJapan Admin

SerreChe

Pic of the back of my house from this morning

andrew@yuzawa_20.jpg

Thats the best view we can get at the moment because it's just rice fields full of snow behind my house for a few km - a lot of snow!

This is a good one too

andrew@yuzawa_24.jpg

Some more from my neighbourhood here .

That's a lot of snow!

Amazing how that snow seems to bond tightly on that roof and refuses to come down (other pic). Wonder how many people fall off their roof every winter trying to clear the snow. Maybe that building is not heated inside and therefore does not generate the necessary heat underneath for the snow to slide off the roof.

Maybe japanese snow is indeed different after all (besides the sheer amount of it). Time for a PHd student to do a thesis on japanese snow and collection thereof on roofs with sliding patterns, etc... \:\)

When I went to Goryu47 last week, they had to clear some snow from below some lifts to make them operable.

Here's some snow pictures from my long weekend in Nozawa.

That's an almost buried street lamp

83746056_95c4c27d85_o.jpg

That's an almost buried street sign (required to be at least 4.5m above ground by law)

83745264_8b3087914a_o.jpg

Ordinary snowbank in Nozawa this year (about twice the usual height, apparently)

84342905_bac2cf7429_o.jpg

It was great fun for us to have the powder for the first couple of days, but the locals were sure sick of the heavy never ending snowfall.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
I was forced to work as slave labor to clean snow off one side of a mates place mad.gif It was easily 4 meters worth and about 3 meters wide eek.gif Took over 3 hours and several beers to get it done. I couldnt imagine having to do that frequently...That would suck.
I need some slaves to help me removing snow maybe next time if it snow too much.
Need some rest, need some rest.....
 Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
I was forced to work as slave labor to clean snow off one side of a mates place mad.gif It was easily 4 meters worth and about 3 meters wide eek.gif Took over 3 hours and several beers to get it done. I couldnt imagine having to do that frequently...That would suck.
I need some slaves to help me removing snow maybe next time if it snow too much.
Need some rest, need some rest.....
Gamera, Ill work for a 6 pack of Ebisu an hour - you just better hope that there isnt too much snow cuz by hour three I might just be building an igloo ;\)