I know it seems daft asking about boarding/skiing in Sweden on the SJ site but there seems to be a lot of experience here compared to the other forums I visit, so here goes;

Just heard that work is sending me to Stockholm, Sweden for a couple of days and I had the bright idea of trying to tie it up with a weekend of boarding (this will require my sneakiest diplomatic skills) Is there any where within easy reach of Stockholm (under 3 hours)? I'll be there at beginning of Feb. I've heard it'll be damned cold and conditions will be intermittent, but I live in the UK, boarding down a rubble encrusted slope is good enough for me.

Any recommendations much appreciated \:\)

There are some skihills within the citylimits of Stockholm, but that's not more/better than the dry slopes you find in the UK (although these are covered with snow).

The temperature could be very cold, but not colder than it gets in the Alps. The main difference could be the longer dark nights.

There are some resorts that are a 3 hour busride away, I forgot the names. (sorry not much of a help)

You can book a weekend trip in Stockholm including bus or train.

Yep.

There are 1 or 2 "resorts" inside the stockholm city. They are more like one 70m high hill with couple of lifts, few boxes,rails and maybe a mogul run. If you are more into park stuff,they´ll be fine for few days.

The bigger resorts (Åre, kittelfjäll, sälen,vemdalen) are more like 4-7 hours away from stockholm, but usually very easily accessible with train or a bus.

There are some smaller resorts withing the couple of hours from stockholm, and many of the local travelagents/resorts arrange packages that includes the transportation+lift tickets with very reasonable prices.

http://www.skiindex.com/world/show_next.php?association=0&selected=119&menu=81&set=20&layer=2

The above link shows most of the swedish resorts. You can read more about them and then decide where to go, your schedule limiting.

Yup,it can be cold in february in sweden. In the inner areas of sweden (where the resorts are) it can easily drop to -15 / -25c´. It´ll be crisp but nothing what you cant manage when you dress up properly. Stockholm is usually little bit warmed due to the proximity of the sea,but there´s the famous everpresent wind..

Have a nice stay in sweden, but i seriously doubt that youll manage to hit the slopes,though. I think you´re gonna sit in a trendy bar, eyeballing the swedish chicks most of the time... \:\)

PS.Disclaimer. I personally never skied in southern-sweden, only lived the for 10 yrs or so...

There's a small resort called Borlange, about 3 hours (by bus) NW of Stockholm - you could try and check that one out - it's small but it's probably the nearest. If you want some decent action - head to Salen or Are - but they are quite a bit further, maybe not possible if you only have a few days?!

Apart from that, there is a dry ski slope which ends up covered in snow in winter in Sodermalm, the south island in Stockholm - transport is impressive in Stockholm, so it wouldn't be that hard to get to from central Stockholm. Check this web url for more accurate info on skiing in Sthlm - http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/SimplePage___8879__EN.aspx

Like Sanno said, the temperatures are colder - the coldest i experienced living in Stockholm was -25, but it's dry and if you wear the right clothes and don't go outside for too long.... yehhh it's the darkness in winter that you'll really notice - Stockholm has TONS of really amazing cosy cafes and cool places to hang out and enjoy "fika"(going for coffee) as the Swedes would say, so you can keep warm!

Emm... can i come with you? Despite lack of mountains, Stockholm is my favourite place in the world!!! Have a great time!