Keen to try out somewhere different in the Western boonies this January.

Hachikita would be about 3.5~4hrs drive for me as opposed to Dynaland/Takasu etc at 6+.

Their updated website is pretty cool and seems like the place has really gone through some changes. Boardbaka wrote a +ive review but it's a little dated at 2002.

Anybod got some other interesting info re there, either by experience or hearsay, especially of late. I'm assuming late Jan. should be a "safe" bet re sno quantity/quality.

I'm willing(reluctantly) to put in extra driving, rather than be disapointed.

Tanks.

You should make one trip to hakuba at least though.

both Hachi mtns arent bad. there are some trees and some above tree line spots sort of.

The park is decent with a big kicker that is rated pretty well.

You wont be disapointed I think and you will be home that much faster.

I would say its definitely worth trying at least once if you're on that side of Japan. It can get a bit crowded in peak season simply because it gets folks from very western japan too, but its daytrippable from osaka... wrote a review of it a few years back after my first proper powder day, which I had the luck to catch there so it definitely gets the goods... now with a bit more experience I might not be quite so enthusiastic about it anymore, but still have no hesitation in recommending it, especially for a day or two - if you are thinking of going for a week I might think otherwise, but even then there are a few smaller resorts in the area you could check out for the odd day too...

Fattwins - I'll try to get Hakuba in Feb/march if the money gods prevail.

(SJ - us westernites need a hakuba or thereabouts giveaway to break the isolation factor)

Yama - Going to Mizuho with a zillion kids & mums & dads over new year - an earlier thread which had me gritting it. Just want to check some other places without driving a million miles (= $$$)

And others - Thanks, sounds like a general thumbs up for the place.

Just one point - it appears staying on the Hachikita side is the way to go or it doesn't matter coz you can access both sides anyway???

Went there a couple of times last year and found it pretty good. Good enough in fact to pretty much rule out bothering a Gifu trip until they sort the road thing out. It's very close to where I live so it's an easy one dayer.

If there is snow it can be pretty decent-some trees on the Kita side, which also has good fast lifts. More open faces on the other side which are fun enough. Basically you can have a good day out and there are still some other off piste opportunities I'd like to explore. Just don't let patrol see you doing it.

The downsides are the queues at times on weekends, but perhaps I'm basing this on the last time I went on a holiday weekend. The drive in and out can get a bit traffic jammed as well-nothing like Gifu though. Well worth the effort if the snow is in good shape I reckon.

Snobee its a cool looking sight isn't it?Yeah I wrote a pretty lengthy review (from memory) as I've done 5 seasons there teaching skis to JHS students. I read somewhere (can't read the japanese on the site) that they have a new lift that connects Kogen to Kita which sounds excellent. There was only an antiquated single seat job when I was last there (that was often closed due to high winds!). But that run under the lift is one of the best on both resorts. From my experience the snow comes a little late but late Jan as you suggest is the best time of the season. Hachi Kogen is the flatter of the two and is(was) empty during the weeks except the for the herds of out of control bibbed JHS students.

If you want to go night skiing they have Hyperbowl about five minutes (car) down the road from the Hachikogen carpark which is also worth a look. (Is more than just a park that the name implies!) As Gogalago suggests its worth checking out the smaller places nearby. Mt Hyonosen is another good one and gets a lot of snow also. There is a train station (just hitch a ride up) about 40 mins from the carpark but I forget the name maybe Yoda or Yono or something like that (is short and starts with Y) About an hour from Himeji city (cool city too)on the express train (just starting to wonder why I'm typing all this when you can get that type of info from resort section but you knew that!) Anyway goodluck with the timing would be interested to hear about it.

bansai!

boardbaka

Was my local for the last 3 years and can only agree with all thats been said. Ski Patrol are Nazi's so watch for them. They have it in for us too as we were some of the only ones going off piste. Check the website for the snowdepth updates. If you can a lucky day (we had lots last year) we had beautiful waist deep pow and deeper in some places. But dont stay a week, you will get bored.

Boardbaka - It seems that lift has become a triple which would make access much pleasanter.

Davo & dean - sounds the goods.

OC - is that the 150k from here in a westerly direction when the goal is NE, swing that you mean? (*0*)

How about you and the OCjr swinging this way and we all swing up to the big white bumps.(*U*)