Gamandekinakata kara, I went to Karuizawa Prince yesterday and it was pretty fun, sure it doesn't rate up there with my best days on the snow, but certainly not my worst either.

I recommend it for you other guys out there who like me can't hold out for a few more weeks, it's still skiing and long as your expectations are not too high you will enjoy yourself.

I was also lucky enough to try out some new Ogasaka skis, they had a tent setup for some type of ski camp and although it wasn't officially a demo day, I had a chat to the boys there and there were happy for me to test drive a few new models which was nice

RockyV_1.JPG

yeah it wasn't too crowded at all, but I too am keen to hit the real stuff, where are you hiking this weekend Toque?

Oyuki kigan there actually was snow at the top of Asama, you just can't see it, I forgot my camera that day so it was taken with my keitai.

Can see it a little better here

RockyV_2.JPG

Compare those with this photo Danz snapped on his day out at Baker this weekend.

danz_bakerearlyopen.jpg

Damn... It has been an incredible early season at Baker . I wish I was enjoying it with him. But the good news is that he is fully healed after a scary and early end to the season last year.

Will do Sunrise - I hope you are doing well.

Fattwins - you should see the powder field that leads down into this canyon! Top notch stuff. Baker is a great little hidden gem. Many have heard of it because of its popularity in the early days of snowboarding, but I imagine few people have made it to sample the NW terrain and fantastic off-the-lifts bc. I guess it is just remote enough, equal distance from Seattle and Vancouver (and further from each than other good resorts). Anyone here actually been?

Fattwins/Toque, wow Tateyama sounds awesome, I did a search on the forum and found heaps of interesting info.

I need to do an avalanche course this year, buy some backcountry gear and then I too will give it a try next year. Certainly beats Karuizawa that's for sure, but you need to know what your doing too which I don't. You guy's obviously have the knowledge and now I've seen what I can gain from having that knowledge I wanna learn!

Quote:
Originally posted by RockyV:
Fattwins/Toque, wow Tateyama sounds awesome, I did a search on the forum and found heaps of interesting info.

I need to do an avalanche course this year, buy some backcountry gear and then I too will give it a try next year. Certainly beats Karuizawa that's for sure, but you need to know what your doing too which I don't. You guy's obviously have the knowledge and now I've seen what I can gain from having that knowledge I wanna learn!
Get that knowledge and if you have the spirit of adventure you can get out there and extend your season considerably. Japan has some really cool places for good BC skiing.