hi guys

ive had a bit of a search through the forums but Im not really finding the info im looking for.

im currently staying (read: just got here) in maizuru in kyoto prefecture, and possibly looking at going up to hokkaido once the snow starts falling a bit more.

i would like to get hold of some skis/boots/poles. there doesn't seem to be any ski shops in maizuru area, or am I blind \:\) ? is making the train trip to kyoto to go shopping my best bet or should I wait till I head up north? any recommendations for shops in kyoto?

Im also wondering as to whether its actually worth going up to hokkaido, and whether I would save money by staying on honshu and heading to nagano, etc? where is best that is closest to me?

I can speak and understand a little Japanese but unfortunately reading kanji etc is beyond me, so searching the net has been troublesome to say the least \:\(

hope someone can help \:\)

possibly niseko (hirafu), all the pictures from there look pretty amazing compared to what Ive skied before.

oh and ive heard about some ice festival in sapporo in febuary? so ill probably go there anyway regardless \:\)

hachikita you say. if ive worked this out right it seems like its right next to muraoka? its still quite a way from where i am, looking at a map, but still much closer than niseko of course. i might check it out, thanks \:\)

ill be coming to kyoto to go shopping then, just need to know where i can find a good shop, maybe even one with an online presence?

hmmm good service or cheap deals. both of course! :p

i am on a budget and I can do a bit of research, so if you know a discount place that would be nice.

i can do pretty much anything on-trail in new zealand if that gives you an idea of my level, black runs etc i am ok on, have done a bit of OB stuff. i haven't skied much powder at all though so maybe some fatter skis with a bit more lift is what im after? i usually ski 185's or sometimes longer

i am size 12 UK (i think this is 30-31 JP sizing), could this pose a problem?

thanks for the help \:\)

ah, lost the thread.

budget is under 200k for everything but I would prefer under 100k, maybe i can do that with some old models on special maybe? as long as they are semi decent skis i dont mind going back a few years.

i was looking at k2 fujative or more ideally rossignol scratch fs. really depends what I can get for my budget though of course. but I think id like some twin tips.

I was in kyoto yesterday and had a quick look around the shops, but pretty hard to find anything if you dont speak well. my pronounciation still sucks. \:\( so yea if you know a good shop or 2 pm me plz?

dont need clothes, got all that stuff.

im 6'5 and ~85kg i think.

i figure lengthwise ~180cm, and no fatter than 110-115 width at the tips. with that length its ok for my height and i wont need to go too fat unless i gain alot of weight :p

why all the questions? got some gear lying about?

I have gear lying about but not for someone your size.

the more questions you answer the better I can help you

I know where there is a pair of cheap fujatives but you are too big for them.

skis damn you are a big boy... you can order good boots from skibum kyoto

http://www.skibum.co.jp/main.html

He wont be the cheapest but he knows what he is doing with boots. His skis are very expensive though.

Also the fujative is maybe to soft for your size think older PEs, Volkl Vpro, atomic tweak or head mojo

Hi there,

I lived actually in Fukuchiyama just up the road from you until about a month or so ago. I feel your pain not being able to get anything in inaka.

There is a SMALL sports shop in Fukuchiyama that sells a tiny amount of ski stuff, but its better to go at the end of the season there for stuff as the guy there gives huge discounts. But other than that dont bother. (Its right near the train station)

Other than that I suggest your next closest option is Mitsuhasi sports store in Kyoto. They have a big range of stuff and they have alot of last season skis that are not too expensive. The staff dont speak English but they are pretty cool. I agree with FT boots are going to be your problem. BUt search and ye shall find (eventually)

Hachi Kita is great if you have a car. My friends and I had season passes for the last 2 years there. There was a ski instructor from NZ there last year. But its a pain in the butt if you dont have a car, or have friends with one. HK had great snow last year with quite a lot of pow.

You can do Nagano trips for the weekend on the bus through travel agencies and that is a good way to do nagano (about 18,000 with everything usually) Or car pool is the other obvious one.

Hokkaido is awesome, but unless you have time to go by ferry (and the stomach) it will be $$$

Hope that helps.

FT wish I could of gone skiing with you but enjoy reading your posts. I am now in a place about as far away from snow as you can get and getting a shoulder recon partly due to skiing! \:\(

BRING ON NZ 2006

where are you now?

mitsuhashi is ok but the deals there are nothing to write home about. they could have 1 or 2 big boots as well from a few seasons ago. its a big store but expensive. they throw a great sale in january.

I am in Perth now. have to stay here a couple of years but planning on trying to find a job in Vancouver. Its my favourite city in the world. So other than going to the east coast for the most expensive skiing in the world, the next nearest option for me now is NZ.

thanks for all the help guys ill check those shops out.

Dean, ive found nz pretty hit and miss with getting much actual snow recently. i think springs the best bet.

hmmm so many skis to choose from

oh and yes if i was hitting hokkaido it would definitely be by ferry. apparently it leaves from here and takes like 30hrs, im cool with that :p

indeed. excellent service \:\)

fattwins any idea when you are heading to hakuba? I imagine you would have to book accom in advance? snowbeds looks quite good. If ive got some gear and you are going before feb I would almost definitely be keen.

Not sure when Ill be going to kyoto again but ill pm you when I do. turns out im also going to osaka in a couple weeks so I might have a look around there.

thanks, argh cant reply ;/.

Quote:
You are not permitted to send private messages. A board leader has elected to deactivate this option for you.
anyway sounds good and im sure its a while away yet.
  • SnowJapan Admin

Hello intro-nz

The reason you weren't able to use PM is because you had not enough posts for that to be turned on (we explained this before that we now have a minimum number of posts setting to avoid spammers coming on and using the PM system to spread their evil spam).

Please try again - you should now find that you can use it. \:\)

----

By the way if anyone ever gets things like this, please do email us - we more than often respond (and usually very quickly)