Hi there,

At the moment i'm planning on coming to Japan in mid December, of this year, for an as yet undecided period. I've been looking into bits and pieces but now with only two months roughly untill I intend to be there I thought I would ask a few questions. Questions mind that partly i'm sure have been asked before, sos for that \:\)

I'm planning on flying into Narita around the 15th of December and spending some time in Tokyo as I intend visiting a friend I have there. After that though I was intending staying at Snowbeds in Hakuba and spending the first part of my time in Japan around those resorts, but I was wondering if anyone else has contacted Snowbeds yet this year, and that it was still fully open. I'm also not sure how long if at all it is recommended to prebook, as I am intending to spend possible in-excess of a month there I assume I will at least need to contact them \:\) .

I am leaning towards leaving my holiday quite open ended with only the beginning organised in advance. I am hoping to spend a month or so around the Nagano area getting my boarding in before moving up the country towards Hokkaido. Hopefully visiting Kyoto and Osaka as well as rural towns along the way. As I am intending spending a large amount of time in Hakuba to begin with I would like to think I can afford to leave alot of the details of the trip untill I arrive in the country. My main concern is that there may be some pitfalls that I have not considered, and if there are any I would be very greatfull if they were pointed out.

I am a driver and as I intend being Japan for a long period I was wondering about car rental. I'm only 21 and with only 2 years no claims bonus on a British licence. Will this make it virtually impossible to rent a car in Japan? Even if it is possible is it neccessarily cheaper anyway? What I mean is, is the ease of use worth the hassel? I am aware an international licence is needed to drive a rented car but what about buying old bangers out there? Has anyone ever bought a cheap car while out there and then sold it on when it's served it's purpose and is this even possible/worth it?

Short of buying my actual flight ticket I am pretty much prepared to get there. I have decided against trying for a working visa, as I have got the impression Japan is a country where it is incredibly hard to do so. Anyone know of ways to get a bit of extra cash whilst out there? short of selling my body of course. I am a trained plumber, but then again I suppose that doesnt count for much when crossing international barriers.

Thanks for reading this far, even greater thanks if you have replied \:\)

Bonio,

Snowbeds is still there. There are slowing installing new windows by the look of things. My folks were walking past the other day when the heard the breaking of glass and a loud "F__K".

Which goes to show:

1. Things are looking OK for winter

2. The owner doesn't expect foreigners to be stolling past when he breaks a winodow.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonio:
Doh! I was holding my atlas upside down
LOL Are you okay, Bonio? Drunk? lol.gif

Maybe you can try avis
http://www.avis-japan.com/yoyaku_en.html

Not sure how long you would like to rent one.
Depends on it, you need to pay a lot more than expect, I guess.

Maybe it's also an idea to buy a cheap crap and sell it when you're done. You must find someone to buy it though. I am not sure what kind of documents required while you do that with a tourist visa or a working holiday visa.
I have a kiwi friend who runs a used-car import/export, so pm me if you want the info.

And if you really would like to get a working holiday visa and still have not gotten one yet, do it asap. It might be on going away till the end of the year.

Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Hey Bonio, i'm staying at snowbeds in early feb so its definitely open! I booked about 3 months ago but at that time it wasn't booked up at all, its closer to the season now so i hope you can get a bed, i'm sure there would be something!

I'm writting to snowbeds now, in order to see how flexible they are in reguards to keeping a bed long term but not neccessarily staying there for the odd weekend. I have no qualms about staying in dorms, so I'm hoping there should be a bed available that might even allow for my somewhat eratic schedule.

As it stands at the moment I expect if I can get affordable accomadation I should be in that area mainly untill mid febuary so hopefully i'll see you there fb \:\)