Be careful, you don't want to offend some of the ripping Norwegians who definitely KNOW that Telemark skiing began in Telemark, Norway way back when. It never really went away but it was definitely revived in the U.S. It has definitely mutated though from the leather/skinny touring skis to deliver mail in the mountains, to today's fats and heavy plastics for ripping sick lines in deep pow. Though, if your at it enough, you'll meet just about an even amount of both still. That's why it's so great, there's nobody telling you what to ski on or how or where to do it. There's still plenty of proud "stinky hippies" out there who won't give up they're leathers until you rip them off their dead bodies. And then there's young kids playing in the parks with the snowboarders daring them to follow them doing sick tricks. To each his/her own!

I have Seth Pistols too! It wasn't me you saw unless there's some freaky space-warp things happening. Got mine this season and I love them. Not the greatest piste ski, but they rock in the deep stuff. They're actually an alpine ski, but the tele version (Hippy Stinx) are basically the same aside from the graphics. They're fast, and like big lines.

Couldn't agree more, I've seen some Japanese tele dudes and dudettes absolutely ripping it on piste and off piste. Great to watch, but I love watching anyone push themselves if they're having fun, no matter what their ability.

I can't give you any tips without being there (except 'patience grasshopper', and go and have a look at the Telemarktips website listed above), but feel free to PM and I'll suggest a good book that'll help. Not a great way to learn, but better than nothing. You may be able to get lessons at a hill. They give lessons in English at Niseko.

There are many things you can carry over from alpine skiing (or boarding) to tele skiing, but there are some things you'll have to change. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by Teledude:
Be careful, you don't want to offend some of the ripping Norwegians who definitely KNOW that Telemark skiing began in Telemark, Norway way back when.
Yeah, Norwegians have it in their genes (but I guess I'm half-Norwegian, and I certainly don't have the skills...).

I entered this university competition in New Zealand in 2000, complete with GS, slalom, skiercross and big air, and this dude from Norway beat me and most of the field handily in GS and slalom, and got to the final heat of the skiercross -- all on teles. It was pretty sick to watch.
 Quote:
Originally posted by powda tele:
I have Seth Pistols too! It wasn't me you saw unless there's some freaky space-warp things happening. Got mine this season and I love them. Not the greatest piste ski, but they rock in the deep stuff. They're actually an alpine ski, but the tele version (Hippy Stinx) are basically the same aside from the graphics. They're fast, and like big lines.

Couldn't agree more, I've seen some Japanese tele dudes and dudettes absolutely ripping it on piste and off piste. Great to watch, but I love watching anyone push themselves if they're having fun, no matter what their ability.
The bloke I saw was really fast but he wiped out sooo much too. They had to hurt but he kept getting up and pushing himself just as hard.

The hippies are the same as the old launchers yeah? like 118-90-108 or something like that?