Myself and 2pints are thinking of doing Switzerland (*) as well as Japan this coming winter and starting to put that together.

Any SJ-Heads have much experience anywhere over there they may like the share?

Cheers

(* we both got a bonus, don't worry \:D )

You really like visiting expensive places!

Andermatt is a great place for backcountry and not so busy.

Saas-fee usually has a good park, also Davos is a place you shouldn't miss.

Verbier is the snowbum hang-out for Switzerland. They have the terrain but it is getting pretty busy. At least the Bunker in Verbier has cheap accomodation.

My personal favorite is Champery (Portes du Soleil) great terrain and a nice park, but rather low you might end up with no snow there.

verbia is great but takes a lot of time to get around. it is just huge. and it is expensive. but worth the visit if you can commit the time. the same goes for portes du soleil. the area is just simply too big to imagine. but it also has some great hairy terrian. one of my favorite spots, and this could be due to the meter dump we had over night while there was a smaller place called 'les deblerais' the mountains are big here, and there are many options with some great terrian if you are willing to put in a few steps.

Switzerland is expensive no matter where you go.

Anyway why not take a cheap package deal to Val d'Isere/Tignes or my favorite Serre Chevalier (and go 1 day to La Grave) for a week. relatively cheap and enough lifts and terrain for a week to enjoy.

Well I have not tried the winter sports, but I loved Zermatt. Stunning place, saw some summer skiing going on over the Kleine Matterhorn area as well. Looked pretty good to me, I think from there you can ride down to an Italian resort (you need your passport!!)

I want to go back there again (and in winter if possible!)

• 2 weeks later...

I love Zermatt, been there 5 times now (it helps to know a family who own a hotel in the village \:\) ) Great little village, good atmoshere and some good runs up there of course spectacular views.

I'm a skier and it seems to be more popular with skiers than boarders from what I gather.

I have very fondue memories of Switzerland thumbsup.gif . Have been to Laax, Engleberg, Davos and Verbier. Davo's pick would have to be Davos of course. The resort areas are just huge in Switzerland. Never made it to France but it's probably just as good and cheaper.

You guys could also maybe be a bit flexible; choose a number of likely spots and go where the snow is best at the time.

If I could choose one Euro place to go back to though it would be St Anton in Austria.

• 2 weeks later...

They all have their strong points and weaknesses.

Les Portes du Soleil: low altitude, huge resort

Zermatt - Breuil-Cervinia: very high (cold/high wind), long runs

Samnaun - Ischgl: somewhere in between (Ischgl has a good apres-ski scene, but don't miss the last lift back to your side of the border it will be a very expensive taxi-ride (from experience)) Samnaun is a tax-free village, but really as far as you can go within Switzerland

Quote:
Anyway why not take a cheap package deal to Val d'Isere/Tignes or my favorite Serre Chevalier (and go 1 day to La Grave) for a week.
Sanno, not only you get great deals on bindings, but you also have great taste when it comes to ski resorts ;\)