for those of you with wives/gfs/so who go bc/hiking

ok, not sure if this a stupid questions (I've been asking quite a few lately and a lot feel stupid ;\) )

been thinking about this since i've seen a number of cool photos of hiking...

for those of you with wives/gfs/etc who go backcountry/hiking... how much avie knowledge do they have? have they done courses or are they just decent skiiers?

cheers \:\)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I practise beacons with my wife, thats about it.

she is starting to understand when its safe to ski, or better yet when its safe to check if its safe to ski. in most terrain we practise very safe sking. This means one at a time to safe zones.

well, captain stag and i have simliar knowledge... i've read a bit more than him though... but he's prolly still a little better than me in terms of judging and feeling things when we are out on the snow... once we both do avalanche safety management stage 1 in nz (that's the introductory course for professionals working in the field) this season, we should be pretty similar - i hope.

My ex back in Canada was pretty knowledgable in the theory behind avalanches but didn't have the practical hands on experience that I had.

She didn't know how to use a beacon but then she never owned one.

I say leave the women at home :p lol.gif ;\)

Just kidding folks

I have always found that I like to do my hobbies on my own without the significant other around. Gives me time to think about stuff without the ol ball and chain around. And I don't have to worry if they are having a good time or not.

With friends whether they be male or female I don't have to worry if they are having a good time. If they arn't then they shouldn't have signed on for the trip

I have certain hobbies that I like to do on my own, mainly running and swimming - theyre very thereaputic for me. Guess I do those to get rid of stress so doing them alone is best. But, skiing, Id love to be able to go out into sweet powder and do it with a GF. Never had that experience before - although did have a good girlfriend who was my coworker in Niseko who went out with regularly, but when I saw Phatluv and FF tearing up Happo, Tsugaike, Cortina etc I just thought it was pretty sweet.

Montoya, maybe next season Ill put out the word too lol.gif

toque you don't know what you're missing. on those deep deep pow days skinning up, the wife is a trail-breaking machine (helps that she's built like a marathon runner).

Trust me montoya toque is a go go go type of guy. If you are slowing him down he will wait but only at the top. He will give you a long break but when he is hiking he just does his thing.

I love sking with my wife she really does ski well. I will shoot for my avie level 1 in about 2 years. I dont want to waste my money and pass only cause im in japan. Plus I gotta start diggin more pits, Canada requires that your log book be pretty full.

Here or there whichever works out cheaper.

I wanna start doing simple tours into places like tateyama and gifu in a few years. thus I need to get some stuff together. I have the gear and I love doing it so might as well get paid to have a bit of fun.

sorry toque, but if you think of it as a ball and chain, then obviously you have yet to find the right person. if you have to worry if they are having fun, then of course it's gonna suck,

Quote:
With friends whether they be male or female I don't have to worry if they are having a good time. If they arn't then they shouldn't have signed on for the trip

this should be the same for the girlfriend/wife. i didn't ski with captain stag for a lot of the time when i was learning... he did ski with me every now and then, but i sure didn't want to hold him back... now i can keep up and the best times skiing ever have been days where just the two of us have been out in the bc, being stoked for each other when we got awesome lines... my opinion, but i think you may be missing out!

I do have to find a girl that can outhike me and outski me in the BC. That would be cool.

Mountain ladies are few and far between though

Only problem about having ladies around is that unless they are really rude the farting, burping, and sex jokes would have to stop.

I will just say as well that I'm not old fashioned. Girls that fart and joke with the guys are cool.

Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Sexy:
My guy must be really winter sports freak. It is one of the condition.
Yup, for us sports baka people its important ne!

>>by toque:
I do have to find a girl that can outhike me and outski me in the BC. That would be cool.
Mountain ladies are few and far between though

Only problem about having ladies around is that unless they are really rude the farting, burping, and sex jokes would have to stop.
I will just say as well that I'm not old fashioned. Girls that fart and joke with the guys are cool.

Never seemed to bother PhatLuv, although a few times the room mighta stank eek.gif lol.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Sexy:
My guy must be really winter sports freak. It is one of the condition.
That's not really a condition for me
She just has to be ready for me not being around most weekends and in the off chance that we have weekend plans for them to be canceled if the weather turns good. When I am around she has to listen to me talk about my weekends or watch me sleep cause I'm tired from my weekends

the rule is a loose 100 pits, you must find 2 beacons in 5 minutes flat also. Amoung other route finding stuff. Dave Enright finds 2 beacons in like 2 minutes its stupid fast.

cb my farts smell like roses..... the type on top of dead bodies.....or is it the dead bodies?

My wife is cool about sking but I can only push so far before even she says enough. There are just so many demands in life and sometimes you must give in.

Even Mr, wiggles knows this he is the king of the half day. be that as it may he gets the first tracks most of the time.

**you know you like to think yo $hit dont stink, but lean a little closer and see roses really smell like poo poo oo**

my bad...

bout your email this mornin, why dont you just swim at your elementary schools? Riding a bike 20K is good work out but youre just gonna be sweating like a beast before classes even start.

I just swam a mile before lunch... nothing better than being able to work out at school \:D