A little late for this one but I just got the pictures and as I was flushed out from skiing this weekend I thought I would reminice about a great BC trip a month ago.

This is all taken from my journal

363 days earlier Matt, Erik and I climbed and skied Yakedake straddling the Gifu Nagano border. Nearly 1 year later Dan Neutel and I did the exact same thing.

We met nice and early in Hirayu and after paying the toll for the Abo Pass tunnel I told Dan I didn't know if the road would be open as when Bill and I drove the highway during the week the gate appeared to be closed. We might have to walk up 10 long switchbacks gaining 400 extra metres. Luck was with us though and the gate was open with the road plowed all the way to the trailhead. We quickly geared up and were under way. Matt and I had tried and failed to skin up the first part the year before but this time I booted up the first steep section making my trip much easier and less frustrating. At the top of the first bench I put my skis on and happily went on my way. Skinning is so much easier than walking.

blpic40446.jpg

Especially in the soft snow we found at the lower elevation. We made really good time and were quickly at the bottom of the huge bowl.

blpic40447.jpg

blpic40448.jpg

The snow in the bottom of the bowl was difficult and Dan got held back postholing up to his waste in places. I remember getting a little frustrated on this section the year before however the new skis and bindings really helped and I was able to quickly make it up the steep sections. We made it to the saddle in a very quick 3 hours.

blpic40449.jpg

blpic40450.jpg

We went back to the same rock and had our lunch. Every few minutes the sun would emerge from the patchy clouds and we would roast while once back in the shade we would freeze. After a quick snack we decided to ski off the summit so booted up the steep icy slope to the top. It was really fun and steep getting up this and I really enjoyed it.

blpic40451.jpg

blpic40452.jpg

After the summit shots at 2455 metres I made firsts tracks down the chute. It was the chute Erik had skied the year before. The snow hadn't softened at all though and it was pretty sketch skiing down. But it was lots of fun.

blpic40453.jpg

I was so pumped up at the bottom that I quickly booted up for another run. Dan stepped up as well and made nice turns down the chute. He wasn't planning on it at first but knew he would regret it if he pussed out. He too felt another run was in order so booted up.

blpic40454.jpg

blpic40455.jpg

By now the sun was completly out and as I sat on the ridge waiting for him I was warmed by the sun instead of chilled by the wind. He skied the same chute again while I opted for the steeper more direct face that I had skied last year. It was lots of fun and a little softer than the previous run. We had outstayed our turn around time and after our 2 runs quickly packed up and booted up out of the depression we had been skiing into. There were now 5 or 6 people on and near the summit. The top of the bowl was still in good form so we skied it nicely. I had spotted a nice chute on the way up so couldn't leave it without ski tracks. There was no top entry so I had to climb up from the bottom and make a platform to put my skis on. My first time doing that. The snow was much softer than our other runs and I was able to really let it out and had some great big turns down into the large bowl. All that was left now was the ski out of around 800 metres. It was really fun and we found the snow to be pretty good. It was soft but we didn't sink in to much.

blpic40456.jpg

We were back at the car by 12:00. A really good 6 hour day and we were sporting perma-grins. I felt great. All the bike riding and small ski tours have paid off.

I can't wait to get out again.

sweet mate.

Do you ride your bike to school? You are in really good shape eh? I remember your strength on the mtns over the winter. Very powerful skier.

Ive been running pretty consistantly and am bout to bite the bullet and start running to school instead of taking the bus. Running up the mountain daily to school would whip me into shape and get my workouts outta the way before my day starts.

Love morning workouts but just have a hard time doing them before work - figure run to school and shower there will be the best as well as give me ample time to get some work done too.

Almost all the writing in the 1st 2 posts are from my SJ journals one month ago

I ride my bike most days but it's a quick ride. Only 10 minutes with some steep hills.

But in the last 2 weeks I have been lazy and usually drive the car. GW's skiing and drinking events took a lot out of me. I'm just starting to recover.

But I am getting back on the saddle and am going to start going on afternoon bike rides again.

I'm not a runner

I love the feeling of the morning workout. It really sets up the day. Everything seems to flow really well on the days I ride to work

Thanks Montoya. It was steep. But not exposed. Would only slide for a bit if you fell. The sulpher smell isn't so strong. There are strange smells though when the wind changes if you are close to the vents and the smoke covers you

At the top of the above picture it rolled over onto a short bench and then you had to boot up this which was very icy. Only the tips of the toes for standing on.

blpic40554.jpg