My mates who are going have had serious problems getting a hotel room. Some of them have been in Japan for donkeys' years.

I say name and shame. If you know somewhere that's not letting gaijin in, post it up here and let's all boycott the place. Doesn't have to be in Sapporo.

I guess they had some reason to be worried about this particular match, but I would have thought that was a policing issue. I know that the police and the media went out of their way to put the fear into the people of Sapporo. The end result is all foreigners being branded as hooligans and a lot of missed opportunities for the city. Like you say scouser-sad.

I have read or seen nothing about any kind of hooliganism last night. That lack of coverage considering the hype of last night sucks big time.

If you can navigate their website without falling prey to the titillation prominently on offer, the Mainichi Daily News has a story about how much trouble people have had getting a drink and how this has been killing the atmosphere. It has even extended to the sale of sake as souvenirs. At the England-Sweden game in Saitama, the only beer vendor near the ground (a tako yaki stall) said they had sold out well before the game started. Incidently, the conveni there made 12 million yen on the day of the Japan game.

The MDN's football reporters use some highly inappropriate American sports terms to describe the football and some expressions that are plain wrong ("France draws Uruguay" etc.), so I don't recommend dipping into their coverage.

[This message has been edited by NoFakie (edited 08 June 2002).]